Some rain at last

• 8 Replies

John J

Some rain at last
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »
Having had very little rain on our garden so far this winter we were pleased when yesterday turned into a wet day that continued overnight. So to go out this morning and be greeted by the following sights left us far from blue, it could almost be regarded as a purple patch. Sorry!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

Re: Some rain at last
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:28:13 AM »
I don't know how I missed these gorgeous photos last year, but would love to know how these shrubs are doing this year.
It is a much colder February in Crete this year. Most plants are not so forward.
Is it the same in Cyprus?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John J

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »
I'd venture to say that it is exactly the same, Daisy. We are experiencing what I can only describe as an 'old-fashioned' February, ie the kind that we haven't had for many years, cold and wet. The shrubs in question are looking rather sorry for themselves, as are most of the other plants in the garden. As I write this there has been a short shower of hail and the sky is looking threatening from horizon to horizon so I think we are in for another very wet day. The BBC weather forecast last night predicted a temperature today of 8 degrees C for Nicosia, that's on a par with London at 9 degrees C.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
Here in more or less Central Italy we are experiencing the warmest February that I can remember with clear blue skies and warm sunshine. February is usually our coldest month. I am nervous of doing too much in the garden though as we could still be in for harsher times. The plants that I protect in a small very simple "greenhouse" are not only surviving but growing apace and it is beginning to look like a jungle.
In the garden at our house in the country (nearly 500ft) the Acacia dealbata is in full flower and looking gorgeous - I took a risk when I planted it but am well rewarded this year. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
Umbrian, where are the photos?  I love Acacia dealbata.
There is a stretch of road not far from here which has mimosa trees along it's length. Naturally we call it Acacia Avenue. The trees are only just beginning to show the tiniest hint of yellow so far this year. It is hardly surprising they are not yet flowering, when you see these photos that I took through my rear door this morning.
Daisy :)

feb 19th 2015 004 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

feb 19th 2015 001 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

feb 19th 2015 003 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Sorry about the sack of donkey manure, waiting to be spread in the photos.
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »
Sorry Daisy - forgot to take my iPad when I went to check on the house- not really expecting much to see in the garden. Will try to remember next time....
What temperatures are you experiencing? Are some of your plantings in danger? As the years roll by I am always nervous of putting things in that might get cut down just as they are getting settled and performing well.
The Acacia was a present from an MGS friend who had a house near to the coast - a rooted piece from his magnificent specimen. I kept it in a pot for a year or two but it languished and looked very sad and so finally I took the plunge and put it in the garden. Since then it has grown really well and had a few flowers last year ( also quite mild) This year I am so glad I planted it and have seen it in its full glory. Let's hope we continue to have mild winters....am even considering putting one in my new garden to provide some height and shade.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
I have taken some pictures this afternoon and wish to show you how well the flowers did after the winter rain.I am not sure of the quality of the pics.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:42 PM »
We have just had a nasty storm, strong winds amd lots of rain. Batten down the hatches
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:58 AM »
After a very dry winter so far we are at last getting some much needed rain. The photo is from a few days ago and shows the welcome build up of rain clouds over the Troodos range to the north of our property.