Is Roundup safe?

• 6 Replies

andrewsloan

Is Roundup safe?
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »
I have been using Roundup on weeds for a number of years and have always understood it to be a safe and environmentally friendly herbicide. I have recently been shown an article by Dr Mercola (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/active/2013/06/25glyphosate) which says that the active ingredient in Roundup is Glyphosate and that Glyphosate residues in food disrupt normal body functions and induce disease as well as promoting breast cancer. This is the first time I have heard this and I wanted to consult some of the more knowledgeable experts in this group to get your opinion as the whether Roundup is safe to use.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Is Roundup safe?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »
We're not experts, but Helena and I use Roundup quite a lot, Andrew, and being - like you - inquisitive souls (and not wanting to poison ourselves or anyone else/any animals) we have kept a fairly close eye on published studies relating to its safety.
Our own belief is that when used in accordance with the instructions it is safe, and could hardly be any safer.
(Dr Mercola makes and sells a wide variety of "natural health" products, and also campaigns strongly against fluoride. He supports the US National Vaccine Information Center which, for example, publishes pretty scary information about the MMR vaccine. Yes, none of that's on topic, but people may find it gives some useful context in which to judge what he says about glyphosate.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
Glyphosate is a very succesful, popular and effective herbicide used world-wide by professionals as well as amatuers. It is under constant review by various government agencies, industry and international bodies.  I have not seen Dr Mercola,s article . Unfortunately your link would not open.  I would suggest that in any case like this you check the author,s credentials as well as the references in the article.

Believe me if there was an truth in what Dr Mercola says it would be in the popular press as well as  the scientific literature. .
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »
Roundup is the only weed killer that I use  - and recommend to people seeking advice and so I was relieved to read both Alisdair and David's posts as to it's safety. Most of us I am sure are aware that one cannot believe everything one reads but in these days of easy and instant communication it becomes more and more difficult to decide what is trustworthy. I am more than willing to be guided by our experts and am happy not to have to try to find an alternative weed killer, Roundup being so effective.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
I attach a Q/A from "Sense about Science"  , well worth following.

Can the herbicide glyphosate be linked to to neurological disorders (learning disabilities (LD), attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), autism, dementia, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder) as described in this article?

Twitter Talk
18/04/2013
Dr Timothy Marrs "Glyphosate cannot be linked to the neurological disorders listed. The toxicity of glyphosate has been extensively reviewed and is deemed safe to use by different organisations including the WHO (FAO/WHO, 1987; 2006). This herbicide has low or non-existent effects on how signals are transmitted in the brain. In addition to this glyphosate is poorly absorbed within our intestine, instead it is excreted unchanged in the urine. So not only does not affect how our brains work, there is also little chance of it entering our system if consumed, except in grose overdose."

"In addition to this there is no evidence of carcinogenic potential in longterm studies. There is little evidence to show that it damages the cell in a variety of in vitro and in vivo tests (FAO/WHO, 1987; Williams et al 2000; FAO/WHO (2006). Effects on fertility were not seen in multigeneration studies in the rat nor does it affect foetuses in utero."

"It is worth noting that the biochemical synthetic pathway that Roundup attacke in plants does not exist in humans."

References

Atkinson D. 1985. Toxicological properties of glyphosate, a summary. In: Grossbard E, Atkinson D, editors. The Herbicide Glyphosate. London: Butterworths 127-133.

FAO/WHO (1987). Pesticide residues in food - 1986. Evaluations 1986 Part II toxicology. FAO Plant production and protection paper 78/2. Rome. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8141E/W8141E00.htm

FAO/WHO (1998). Pesticide residues in food - 1997. Report. FAO Plant Production and Protection Paper 145 . Rome. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8141E/W8141E00.htm

FAO/WHO (2006). Pesticide residues in food - 1986. Evaluations 2004 Part II toxicology. Geneva. World Health Organization. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2006/9241665203_eng.pdf

Williams GM, Kroes R, Munro IC (2000). Safety evaluation and risk assessment of the herbicide Roundup and its active ingredient, glyphosate, for humans. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol;31:117-165.
- See more at: http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/plant-science-expert-panel.html#sthash.4X250wCg.dpuf
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
Excellent information David, concise and easy to understand. Thank you very much. :) I shall feel happy to continue using it and recommending it now.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
I got some advice yesterday on spot killing smallish persistent weeds with Roundup which may be of interest:
Cut the top 15 cm or so from a large plastic water bottle.
Fill a spray bottle with the Roundup mixture.
Stuff the nozzle of the spray into the mouth of the bottle and tape around with insulating tape.
Fit the bottle over the weed and spray.
Allow the liquid to settle then move on to the next weed.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece