Perennials in my garden

• 14 Replies

Daisy

Perennials in my garden
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
For Imogen. I can only tell you which perennials I have grown in my tiny garden. Hopefully, others will tell of their experience too.
There is not the wide range of plants that one can grow in a more temperate garden, but there are still some beauties.
Aster x frikartii Monch. This is an absolute star in my garden. It starts flowering in May and continues into the winter. Mine still had some blooms on it, when I cut it back last week.

sept 2013 033 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Lychnis coronaria. Seeds around, but is easy to pull out or transplant.

sandy6 021 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Rhemannia elata. This spreads, in sun or shade, but is easy to control.

sandy6 037 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Sedums, all of them I have tried, are happy.

sandy2 125 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Zantedeschia aethiopica, Arctotis hybrids, Erysium Bowles Mauve, Verbena x hybrida, Dahlias and Tanacetum niveum Jackpot are all happy here.

sandy6 043 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Echinacea purpurea.

sandy5 145 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Limoniums. All of them.

027 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Long flowering Alstroemerias. All of them that I have tried.

may 2013 097 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

may 2013 138 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Nepeta Walkers Low. Seen above with the alstroemeria. This is another plant that flowers for most of the year.

may 2013 120 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Valerian. Seeds like crazy.

may 2013 060 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Geums. I only planted my first geum last year.The chiloense types are best for this climate. This is Mrs Bradshaw, still a young plant.

may 2013 043 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Erigeron karvinskianus. This seeds like mad too, but is easy to pull out.

april-may 2013 060 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Salvias. All of them.

021 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Verbena bonariensis. Here with Nicotiana sylvestris. All the verbenas are happy here. I also have Verbena rigida which spreads a bit, but is easy to pull out.

Anemone hupenhensis. These don't start flowering here until October. They are truly autumn flowering.

Galliardias, and Gazanias, seem to be short lived, but flower for ever.

Pinks are also short lived, but easy from cuttings.

april-may 2013 020 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Agastache Apricot Twist is good for cuttings too.

All Artemisias. This one is Powis Castle.

may 2013 119 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Perovskia atriplicifolia flowers for ever and goes on for years.

032 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Achilleas. I only have Cerise Queen so far. I haven't tried any others yet.

may 2013 152 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Argyranthemums. All of them.

may 2013 076 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

There are lots more like Hemerocallis, Hellebores, Lavenders etc.
Perhaps others can tell you what perennials they grow.
Hope this helps.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Perennials in my garden
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
Incredible, Daisy! (The Erigeron corner is particularly lovely....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
Daisy your photos are stunning. I wish my Perovskia would behave like that.

But how do you get such fabulous photos on to the Forum at 250 kb? Yours are such a size and clear and vibrant as well.I don't want you to give away your secrets but I am so 'into' sizing photos after my Ipad experience I would be interested to know how you do it.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
As always a feast for the eyes Daisy and I too have often wondered how you post such seemingly large 'photos within the "rules" of the Forum. My favourite photo was the one with "Apricot Twist"  - lovely delicate colour.
It is always nice to share in the delights of your garden  - thank you  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Daisy's photos
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
I too love Daisy's photos.

I believe that instead of inserting the photo itself she puts in a hyperlink to where she has stored it in the internet "cloud", in Flickr. I'm sure she'll explain the detail.

But much as I love seeing her big images, I would urge everyone else to stick to the normal system. Her photos are much bigger files than our normal limit for photos - normally well over 1MB. So they take at least five or six times as long as normal for the website to download from the cloud to your computer. This is fine for people with good internet connections, but can slow things down dramatically for those less fortunate (as I've found myself when I'm away from home, wanting to look at a thread which includes Daisy's photos).

But Daisy, please don't change a thing yourself - we'll always give you a special licence, as your photos do bring such great pleasure!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:57 AM »
Thank-you all for your comments.
The reason why my photos are this size, is because I am a technological moron. When I first tried to upload a photo onto this site, I diligently read through all of Alistairs post about resizing and posting photos and thought  ???
Not that Alistair's instructions were not clear. I am sure they were to someone with more of a brain. But to me! ??? ??? ???
I had already learnt how to download my pictures onto Photobucket and Flikr. That had only taken me about a month :-[
I did that by having another window open, which gave me step by step instructions as I did it.
So when I posted my first full sized photo here, I expected thunder and lightning, rocks falling from the sky etc. Or at the very least, excommunication :'(
When that did not happen, I was, and still am, extremely grateful. ;D
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »
I think it’s a brilliant idea to show your photos via Flickr, Daisy, I do that a lot on other websites. It would be much easier for us to look at  your photos, however, if you could show them in a smaller size on the Forum; if you click on them, you immediately see them in the full size, as before. This is not complicated at all, you just have to change the settings when you grab the link from Flickr. I see that you have chosen Medium 500 (on the previous photos, if you changed that to one of the smaller sizes. I’ll try to show you how.

To show you photos from Flickr, you click on the little square with  dart in the lower right hand corner, then choose Grab the HTML/BBCode in the pop up window, below. Below the code (starting with URL…) there as a smaller box just below, which shows the size you wish to use, change that to a smaller on, such as Small 240 (240 x 166), then grab (copy) the code above and copy it to the Forum post, like you have done so far. See illustration below:

Test posting size by JorunT, on Flickr

I have also tried an even smaller version, Thumbnail (100 x 166 in this case), just to see how big this is compared to the regular postings.

_DSC5683-Edit Clematis koreana.jpg by JorunT, on Flickr

Personally, I think the latter one is OK, more like the other photos posted here.

Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
You're so helpful, Jorun! And yes, the second smaller version also looks fine to me.

Thanks very much indeed for all your help, making these intricate photo operations seem so simple.
Alisdair Aird

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »
I am still struggling with my 'photo posting and think I might have to invite you Jorun to come and give me some personal lessons!! However I shall persevere as time allows and loved the demo 'photo of the clematis :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Be careful, I may be coming!
If you Skype or use any other similar program (faceTime, Live Messenger), I could try to solve some of the problems.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Imogen

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »
Daisy thank you so much!! Your garden looks gorgeous, it's very reassuring to see such a colourful mix. I'm particularly pleased to see your Agastaches thriving, I tried to grow them for a few years in Norfolk but they just couldn't get through the winters so I grew Agastache foeniculum instead. Have you tried Aster 'Twilight'? It might work in a sunnier climate, grew in dry shade and full sun for me and flowered from midsummer til autumn, lovely seedheads too. I really appreciate your pictorial help :0)
Gardening in the Minervois, south-west France.  MGS and PGG member, https://gardeninginthemediterranean.wordpress.com/

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »
Thanks for all your offers Of help Jorun  but I think I am on a par with Daisy when it comes to being a technological moron and, so far have not looked into Skype etc. Time is at a premium at the moment and I find,that as the years advance,it takes me longer to absorb new information! The iPad is certainly a huge learning curve. When I mastered posting ' photos from my lap top I was so proud  and I am sure that I shall find a way to do it from the iPad sometime. Apart from that, if ever you are travelling in Italy you are more than welcome anytime. :)

Daisy

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 07:38:02 AM »
Imogen. I am so sorry. I have only just seen your reply.
Thanks for telling me about Aster Twilight. I have just googled it. I like it a lot. It is too late for me this year now, but I would like to give it a try next year.

Vaughan

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
Daisy, you garden looks stunning, many congrats. Interested to know how much water are you giving the roses and what soil preparation do you use when planting?
New garden near Uzes, Gard - currently a building site/ natural garigue. Sloping west facing garden with thin soil over quartzite rock. 670mm annual rainfall

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
Vaughan, You can see a thread on Daisy's famous Cardboard Box method by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird