Scenes from a garden and balconies...

• 6 Replies

vangelis

• Email
Scenes from a garden and balconies...
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
Hello to all, my name is Skoufakis Vangelis and I have studied Agriculture here in Greece. I have started collecting plants during my studies, at first cacti and succulents, but now there are many different ornamental plants. The garden is small, located near the center of Athens between apartment buildings. Most of the plants that I grow are in pots on balconies. The Mediterranean plants I grow are few, mainly herbs, unfortunately I can not cultivate as many as I would like to mainly because of lack of space, anyway around Athens nature is ample and I can enjoy them during hiking. My English are not great so please forgive for the spelling and grammar errors.
Thank you for having me in the forum!  

Here are some bloomings from the previous months till now.
Cyclamen cyprium

Nerine flexuosa 'alba'

Lachenalia hybrids

Lachenalia cf bulbifera 'Rust En Vrede'

Lachenalia algoensis

Cyrtantus mackenii hybrid

Massonia sp.

Massonia depressa
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:52:19 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Skoufakis Vangelis. Gardening in Athens, Greece

Alice

Re: Scences from a garden and balconies...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
Welcome, Vangeli. You will find a lot of inspiration and encouragement on the forum.
Your photos are smashing. You seem to have crammed many plants on your balconies.
I was most interested in the close-up of Cyclamen cyprium.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Yes, welcome Vangelis! It looks as if you have some really interesting plants.
I think that "Massonia sp." may be Massonia echinata.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »
Your close-up of Cyprus National Plant shows the M-shaped magenta blotch at the base of each lobe beautifully. Excellent.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

vangelis

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Thank you very much!

About the unknown Massonia, I received it as Massonia pustulata, a friend told me that it looks like the same form of the first plant that was described as Massonia pustulata ( first description from Jacquin, it is in the pages 177 & 178, unfortunately it is in latin,  http://bibdigital.rjb.csic.es/spa/Libro.php?Libro=2820 )
Anyway, I also think it is a Massonia depressa form  :)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
Great photos vangelis. Don't forget to take your camera when you are out walking. We would love to see your local plants as well.

vangelis

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Thank you Joanna!
Ι will definitely upload pictures from nature! :)