Irises from Sparoza

• 3 Replies

Alice

Irises from Sparoza
« on: November 02, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »
Six years ago we acquired four iris (I. germanica?) plants at a plant/seed exchange at Sparoza. We recently divided the clump for the first time and ended up with 53 plants! One decided to flower a few days later.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Irises from Sparoza
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
Sally Razelou has planted a mass of the purple Iiris germanica on the Sparoza hillside by the road. The first year they bloomed brilliantly at the same time and all among a tall wild yellow daisy and the sight was jaw-dropping. Unfortunately I can't find a photo but even some schollchildren visiting were stopped in their tracks. The next year there was a lack of rain, the daisies hardly flowered and the irises were stunted. You couldn't believe it was the same place.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alice

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
I am looking forward to the jaw-dropping spectacle of my irises flowering, Fleur. Unfortunately they flower before we get there in spring, so it was nice to see one in bloom now.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
I doubt that is Iris germanica. It looks more likely to be one of the wild sp of Greece but I'm not sufficiently experienced in growing them to differentiate or suggest a possible ID.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.