Singapore, a Mediterranean Garden?

• 4 Replies

Joanna Savage

Singapore, a Mediterranean Garden?
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:42:10 AM »
Luck has it that I'll have a stop over in Singapore in March. First visit will definitely be to the Botanic Gardens and apparently there is also a good Dipterocarp forest in a national park.

As well I have been intrigued by news of the Marina Bay Development, especially by this article by Robin Lane Fox.

Robin Lane Fox   Financial Times 29 Mar  2013
.....we came to the garden's centrepiece, two cooled glass domes. The first aims to show the world's cool dry flora, ranging from parts of California to the Mediterranean, the Western Cape of South Africa and even Madagascar. It is an astonishing sight: acres of beautifully landscaped trees and flowers under glass, and even plantings of our beloved English roses. Vast old olive trees have been shipped in from Spain. There are yellow flowered Chorizia trees from South America on a scale which makes Kew's Palm House seem parochial.

It sounds a little 'Disneyland', however the horticultural and design principles sound very interesting. I wonder if any other MGS Forum Members have visited the site.

Charithea

Re: Singapore, a Mediterranean Garden?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
Joanna you are certainly lucky to be visiting Singapore. We lived a stone's throw away from the Botanic Gardens in the early 70's and visited often. Our daughter loved the monkeys and I the wild orchids growing on the trees. I still love the tropical flowers and trees but we do not grow them here because water is so precious here. Enjoy and write and let us know your impressions.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
Joanna, When you go do tell us all about what you thought of the Marina Bay indoor garden (with iPad photos?!). We just missed it when we went, to our chagrin (but like Charithea can't speak too highly of the Bot Garden).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
There might be a member(s) in Singapore. I have grown Antigonon leptopus from MGS seedbank seeds which were labelled "Singapore 2010". Perhaps a quick look through the members list might give you a lead. Just a thought :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
David, I'm pretty sure there isn't an MGS member in Singapore, but will ask the Secretary, and post the answer if there is one!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society