POSTING PHOTOS FROM IPad?

• 21 Replies

Joanna Savage

POSTING PHOTOS FROM IPad?
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
It's a dark wet day in Toscana, and a good opportunity to try to understand how to post photos to the Forum from my IPad photo collection.

So far, the easiest way seems to  be to email the photo to myself on my PC, to then transfer it out of the e-mail to the desktop and then post as usual. But there must be an easier way. I often read that Forum members are posting from their phones, maybe it is a similar technique from the IPad. Any hints would be very welcome.

I would prefer to always view and perhaps, edit an IPad photo before it is posted, otherwise there is too much room for error if it is photographed and posted while the post is being written.

JTh

• Email
Re: POSTING PHOTOS FROM IPad?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
Basically, the procedure is the same whether you send from your PC or an iPad, but you need to rezize your photos first, to compress them to the correct file size. The maximum is 250 kb, which is much smaller than the size of the original size (those on my iPhone or iPad seem to be between 1-3 MB). For that you need an app (program), which you can download, I found a link recommending some of the best ones, see http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5847400367/ipad-5-apps. They are not expensive, but you have to spend som time to learn how to use them. I have not tried any of them myself. It would be interesting to hear if any of you have any experience with one of these.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Thanks Jorun for the link and yes, if anybody has experience of any of these apps I would be grateful to hear what they think. Amazing how useful this forum is - not just for plant information :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Thankyou JTh for your help. I had forgotten about the need to reduce photo size for the MGS Forum. That seems to mean that all ipad photos must go through the PC first (to be reduced), so I won't be able to fire them off to the Forum the way  I shoot off photos in e-mail from the IPad?

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
I think that's the same problem I have Joanna - the need to reduce the size of the photo before posting but hopefully one of the apps Jorun mentioned will do the trick. I am looking into it. Nice to know I am not the only one struggling with all this new technology!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
You don´t have to emaail them to your PC, Joanna, you can download a small photoeditor and do the job on your iPad. Of the ones recommended in the link in my previous posting, I think Photogene sounds like a good option. Photoshop Touch is a much more comprehensive program, and probably have more options than most of you need, unleess you wish to work work with masks and layers etc.

I downloaded Photogene ($ 2.99), just to try it, and it seems to be quite easy.

After you have installed the program and opened it, you choose your photo from your photostream. If you wish to crop the photo, click on Crop, and pull the handles to select the part of the photo you wish to keep. When it has been cropped, click on Export, then on Resize (upper right side). You then choose the reslution, I am choosing 640 here now. Almost at the bottom of the same page, you see Jpeg quality (compression level), with a slider where you choose the level of compression, if you click on Calculate Export Size, you see the file size, then try to move the slider to the left to make the file size smaller, click on Calculate size to check. When you have chosen compression level which gives you the right size (<250 kb), go back to Export and then click on the icon Save to library. Check that the resolution is still set at  still 640, if not, go back and select this value again Then you can close the program and you are ready to post on the Forum. You then do exactly the same as you do from your PC, by choosing Additional Options, Attach-Choose file (choose from existing= yourphostream), and choose the one you edited from your photostream.

If my explanation is correct, and I did as I explained, I should have a photo I took with my iPad yesterday here. It was about 807 kb before i cropped it a little, after cropping it was 229.8 kb, which should be OK. I did not have to compress it at all, but left the compression slider at 1.0 (= no compression). Let´s see if this works!

I´m doing this from my iPad, so I´m making lot´s of mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:04:59 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
Well, it worked, sort of, excpt that the file size was much smallerr than intended, I have to do some more work to make it perfect, but you could try yourself. At least the photo was small enough!

Joanna Savage

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:25:23 AM »
JTh many many thanks for all this help. After hours with the ipad and the PC I confirmed that ITunes, for bureaucratic reasons to do with location, mine and the computer's, ITunes refuses to allow me to set up an account. Other ex-pats have told me they have the same problem. That meant that I couldn't download apps either by wifi or on the PC.
Not to be outdone I have purchased an ITunes app card from the supermarket.

After installing the app tunes credit I have been able to download Photogene and Aviary on to the iPad. There's still a lot to understand and I wonder if I would ever have found out how to resize without your help.

I have no excuse now, for not posting to MGS, except perhaps that all this rain will wash the garden away.

PS Along the way I discovered that the Paint programme in Windows7 will do resizing.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »
Testing

Joanna Savage

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
Above is my first posting from the ipad using photogene.the rain eased for half an hour so I paddled out to this E.Wulfennii seedling. I followed JTh's instructions, but it takes intense concentration!

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:47 PM »
Well done, Joanna :)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
Brilliant, Joanna - and Jorun!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the photo :)

Can confirm that "Paint" in windows 7 will resize photos that you wish to send to the forum. That is what I have used for the few photos that I have sent up to now. Next challenge for me is to start taking photos with the Kindle HD which I recently received as a Christmas present ??? Wish me luck. Let's hope my results will match Joanna's
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
Joanna, when you said you bought your photogene app from a supermarket which one did you mean? I too am having the same problem acquiring this app and as you live in Italy it would be helpful to,me to know!

Joanna Savage

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
Hello Umbrian, My shopping at the supermarket was almost certainly dealing with a different problem from the one you are facing. I bought an app store card (something like a gift token)which, when downloaded on to the Ipad, allows me to purchase apps via Itunes, a facility otherwise barred to me.

For photogene I followed the link from JTh in the second post in this section. Once that link opened it was then possible to go to photogene. It is also possible to google photogene and get to it that way. Once you have the photogene site it will tell you how to download on to the Ipad using Itunes.

All credit goes to JTh for solving the puzzle. I must have made at least ten false starts before I finally arrived at a size suitable for MGS Forum. I don't understand the physics of 'resizing' and 'compressing' so I was working with Pot Luck. In the end I think I used the settings which JTh used, i.e.Resized to 640 and Compression to almost one. The trouble is that I did so many tries I forget exactly which worked. So much for the careful documentation of a scientific training.