Mandragora

• 3 Replies

Alice

Mandragora
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »
This seems to be the year of the Mandrake on Paros. There are thousands of them in our area!
I think it is Mandragora autumnalis but there is a variation in flower colour from a very pale to a much darker blue. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:51:35 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Mandragora
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
Alice it is Mandragora autumnalis only that this name is now a synonym for Mandragora officinalis.
Color of flowers as well as leave forms are variabile.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
Thank you, Oron.
I was always a bit confused about the difference.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
If the two mandragoras have now been classified as one then there is great variation. At Sparoza the "M. autumnalis" finishes flowering in November whereas the "M. officinalis" is flowering now. Also they hold their leaves differently, the latter having a more upright habit.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece