Chelsea Flower Show 2014

• 4 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Chelsea Flower Show 2014
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
The Royal Horticultural Society's Chelsea Flower Show in London opens today. This year the most truly "mediterranean-climate" display there was staged by Kirstenbosch, the national botanic garden, who have brought over a tremendous collection of native South African plants and set them out to give a very realistic impression of how they might look in several different South African settings. Here are some views (just cellphone snaps - I know other MGS members will be going to the show, so I hope they might post some pictures too!):
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Chelsea Flower Show 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:46:52 AM »
For the Telegraph newspaper, Tommaso del Buono and Paul Gazerwitz have set out to rework the classic traditions of Italian gardens in a clean-cut modern interpretation. (I bumped into Tommaso in another part of the show, where he was checking out other displays with Rossana Porta, who had been helping him with his own one - "La Rossana", an MGS member, is an old friend of many of us!). Here's Tommaso's show garden:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
In a nearby show garden for the financial group M&G, Cleve West's design is meant as a modern twist on the Middle Eastern concept of the paradise garden, which by way of the Arab conquests brought the elements of plants, shade and water into the classic contemplative formula of the great early Spanish gardens:
Alisdair Aird

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Unexpectedly - given their local mild damp climate - Trewidden Nursery from Cornwall was showing a fine range of the proteas, restios, succulents and other South African mediterranean-climate plants that they raise (first three pictures). But my own absolute favourite display at the show is absolutely un-Mediterranean: the enchanting Japanese garden designed by Kazuyuki Ishihara, in the final picture. This snapshot doesn't give the magical impression of its almost intricate tranquillity. You might get more of a feeling of how much I was bowled over by it from the short very hand-held cellphone video you can see by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »
Many thanks for sharing your visit to Chelsea with us Alisdair. I particularly liked the Cleve West garden photographs - wish I could have been there. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.