New Year greetings

• 5 Replies

Charithea

New Year greetings
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »
χρονια πολλά Happy New Year from sunny Cyprus. Many thanks to you all for entertaining, elucidating, educating, correcting and informing me throughout the year. Charithea.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: New Year greetings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »
All the best to you, too, Thea.
May 2014 spring some nice surprises on us, in the garden or otherwise.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
New Year greetings also from rainy Athens.
May I echo Charithea's comments about the help and entertainment provided by the forum in the past year.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:56:51 PM »
Yesterday was New Year's Eve and here in Cyprus it turned out to be one of the wettest days of the winter so far. This fact did not seem to deter those in our village who were determined to see in 2018 with a bang. Quite literally as the explosions erupted at midnight terrifying our cats. However, this morning dawned bright and clear with a dazzling blue sky and we were greeted by our own fireworks display, with scarlet rockets soaring upward.
Happy New Year to all Forum contributors and readers.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:58:25 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Caroline

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »
And a belated happy new year from the southern hemisphere.  It is so dry here that a local fireworks display was cancelled in case it set the island on fire.  Fortunately for both water supplies and gardeners - but not holiday-makers -  we had steady showers yesterday with more promised for the rest of the week.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
Hello to all the Forum users.  Today is the last X-mas celebration Day here in Cyprus.  The Silver Cross has been thrown into the sea and the young divers fetched it up again.  Today is also the last day for sending good wishes to friends to help them with the new year.  Tomorrow  the other Orthodox Christians, who follow the Julian calendar,  will be celebrating Christmas. Native Cypriots but also quite a lot of Russians will be celebrating together. The X-mas decorations stay on here in the village as a mark of respect towards them. So from me Καλή χρονιά  and may all your gardening endeavors be fruitful.  I am a bit more optimistic about my seedlings and young plants since we had 4 nights  of very heavy rain. A few days ago we went to pay for our Untreated Dam water and the man in the office was rather pessimistic.  It will be difficult to supply water to the villages a bit higher than from here unless we have many more rainy days but  we will be able to have some from 'pumping' until we hit saline water.  Not really a good option. So we all hope there will be lots and lots of rainy days and snow.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:05:27 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.