Graminicides

• 1 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Graminicides
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
Mike, Very interesting that you're using a graminicide among your california poppies. Basically, they all work because they kill monocots but not dicots, don't they. I know that Fusilade, the one you're using, can with care be used safely in onion crops (but not little salad onions) because it just runs off their waxy leaves. But do you find that any of the usual Mediterranean native bulbs can survive your graminicide treatment?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:00:42 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Graminicides
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
Alisdair,

I don't know. I don't have any bulbs where I have grasses to kill. Sorry.
Have a look at Syngenta's full product label (lists towards the end)
- http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/pdf/labels/SCP1084AL1A1203.pdf
(That's for 'Fusilade II'; note that there are various variants - it is not all just the same Fusilade.)

That shows that Fusilade does affect some dicots, including groundcovers Aptenia, Malephora, Phyla, Lotus, and the full-sized Nerium oleander. The PDf above talks about 20% phytotoxicity as a measure of degree of effect; I have no idea what that really means.

This useful article, focussing on Bermuda grass, includes some general info on the use of Fusilade (etc.)
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England