NOW SOLVED: Guess where this is 4

• 14 Replies

JTh

• Email
NOW SOLVED: Guess where this is 4
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
I would be very surprised if any of you have visited this place, its is not far away from the sea. I'll show you two photos, to make it easier.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:21:27 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

Re: Guess where this is 4
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
I really haven't a clue but it certainly doesn't look Mediterranean, is this in your own back yard?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
There are many Mediterranean elements in this park/garden, it is not my backyard, unless you stretch the meaning of the word backyard quite a bit.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
So it's definitely not your garden?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
Mine is slightly less grand, I was told that they have 5 full time gardeners working there in the summer

John

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »
You aren't having much luck with this one are you?
John

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
That's what I was looking for last night.
Now got my husband on the search
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
I can give you one small hint, which is probably useless: There is a Shakespeare festival there one week at the end of June every year.

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
found it
Whew
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »
And where?

John

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
Yes where?
John

Hilary

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
Ramme Gaard Farm, Norway.
If I ever get to Norway it will be on my list.
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »
Hilary, I am impressed, how did yout husband find Ramme Gaard (gaard, or gård, means farm in Norwegian)? Yes, it is a lovely place, about 30 minutes south of Oslo- on the Oslofjord, well worth seeing in spite of not being strictly Mediterranean. It is open to the public only on specific days, like the previous week-end, when they were selling lots of 'exotic' plants, which are otherwise difficult to find here. There is some information on the internet http://www.rammegaard.no/filer/Ramme%20Gaard%20English.pdf.

Hilary

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »
In the end I found it by Googling Shakespeare festival Norway.
I had looked at all the gardens in Scandinavia and the Baltic countries.
My husband was trying to make out the wording on the building which he still hasn't managed. What does it say?
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
The building and many of the sculptures were transferred from Italiy, the Latin inscription says Nil majus in orbe, which I suppose means 'Nothing greater in the world'.