Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris

• 2 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
I've seen this grown as a hanging basket plant in the UK where I presume it's treated as a tender perennial or bedding plant. It's an Australian native which is probably grown more overseas than at home! I only have the mauve form but believe it can be found in pink and white as well,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
This is a very pretty Australian native, Fermi, and it prompts me to ask you and your fellow Australian posters to recommend some others which will tolerate alkaline soils. Sally Razelou at Sparoza has been given a gift of money from the SA MGS branch to buy Australian plants, but they are few and far between at the plant nurseries here and sometimes rather exotic looking for our rocky hillside. Has anyone had any experience of blending Austalian plants in with the plants from the European mediterranean climate regions?
BTW I haven't been able to find a mail-order source of plants for the Isotoma, only seeds, presumably because they're sold as bedding plants.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

Re: Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
I love this plant. It is just so pretty. :)
I don't think mine will recover from the mealy bugs though. :'( :'( :'(
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS