Hyles euphorbiae

• 6 Replies

KatG

• Email
Hyles euphorbiae
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
Some people might think this topic should be under pests, but despite this caterpillar being promoted in some parts of the world as natural pest control (the pest being Euphorbia) it really doesn't seem to be a significant problem here. And of course, as a Mediterranean gardener I cultivate, rather than eradicate Euphorbia. I was nurturing this caterpillar as part of a pilot 'adopt a caterpillar' scheme. It fed voraciously, its mouth parts moving so fast that I had to set my camera to a faster speed!  It rapidly increased its girth, but suddenly disappeared, which I attributed to the recent heavy rain. Today I found it hurtling towards the house at break-neck speed, and took it back to the Euphorbia, but it showed no inclination to eat, dropping from the branch to the ground again. I imagine it is heading for its winter subterranean phase.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Hyles euphorbiae
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
That's presumably the colourful gentleman that Helena, Maria and I met in your garden just the other day!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

KatG

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
Alisdair I think it may well be. There were only 3 of them since I was doing a little selective breeding!
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
I agree - I expect the caterpillar was preparing for the winter. It will bury into the ground (or maybe just leaf litter), and make a small chamber in which to pupate. I did not know that they made such determined efforts to move away from their host plants, however - thanks for that interesting snippet of info. I can see how it might make sense. If they pupated in the soil below their food plants, predators could more-easily learn/evolve to exploit them, through becoming aware of the association of plant and prey.

Talking about the caterpillars disappearing: note that, while they are still above ground, they can be taken by hornets (search for 'Predators' on this page
- http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Hyles_Euphorbiae)

I like your adopt-a-caterpillar scheme!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
For those like me who don't know their caterpillars here's a photo of a poor pinned specimen of the Spurge Hawk Moth which KatG's adoptee will turn into.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Thanks Fleur. If find them (all hawk moths) somehow special amongst the ranks of visitors to my garden moth lights. I suspect it is a daft thing about them being big enough that their furriness embues them with a sense of 'pet'!
Also note that the red patches on the hind wings of Hyles species are not generally apparent when they are at rest. It becomes visible when they are flying or sitting vibrating their wings. ...As here, with Hyles livornica (striped hawk moth).
...A little something to look out for.

Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

KatG

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:40:31 PM »
Thanks Fleur, I don't remember ever seeing the moth.