No water used?

• 5 Replies

Trevor Australis

No water used?
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:56:10 AM »
I want to collect information about gardens which have no-water uses as the first guiding principle. Waite Arboretum in Adelaide is the only garden known to me which doesn't water except to get plants started for the first few years; after that the trees in the park are not watered at all and survive on rainfall only. Do any members know of other gardens, public or private, where no water use is practiced and advocated?

M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: No water used?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
Trevor, my garden here in Umbria is never watered and was planted and established over the past 15 years to survive on the natural rainfall. Of course we are not in a 100 percent true Mediterranean climate with higher rainfall than some but have long, hot dry summers with most of the rain falling during the cooler months. My husband is away at the moment but kept records until recently and I can give you figures if required on his return. The garden is featured on the Member's Gardens page of the MGS website with my philosophy for successful waterwise gardening.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

jmw

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »
Trevor, my philosophy is based on using water in holes at time of planting in my seven year old garden in Central Otago, NZ, and none after that. I do water my vegetable garden,and also young trees to establish.If plants die I don't replace but look for another more successful candidate. I am stunned by just how many great plants will not only survive but thrive without water here.

My rainfall can go as low as 288mm in a dry year, and in this last week (early summer) we have had 2 days over 30 degrees C.  It rained today for the first time for 28 days. February is usually the hottest month so the summer is just starting. Not as extreme as many Australian sites, but the driest and hottest spot in NZ.
Jo Wakelin
Gardens in Central Otago, New Zealand, with  -12C to  37C, and 250 - 400mm annual rainfall. Mad keen on cold hardy, drought tolerant plants.Member RHS, lecturer Horticulture.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »
What a lovely photo Jo!  We have a low rainfall here too.  November is supposed to be our wettest month, but so far we have had less than 50 mm.  The summer here is very hot and dry so we are not able to water anything as our water supply is too salty.  We buy a lot of bottled water!
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

jmw

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
Thanks Susan. I grow Balearic sage...Phlomis italica which is the most beautiful plant. Do you ever see it ?
Jo Wakelin
Gardens in Central Otago, New Zealand, with  -12C to  37C, and 250 - 400mm annual rainfall. Mad keen on cold hardy, drought tolerant plants.Member RHS, lecturer Horticulture.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
I don't grow it myself, but I have seen it in other gardens.  I will had it to my shopping list of new plants. Thanks Jo
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.