Soya plant in the Algarve?

• 3 Replies

steve

• Email
Soya plant in the Algarve?
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
Hi everyone, I live in the Algarve (Tough but somebody has to) and have started in a small way to try planting especially fruits from Brazil and Maderia which seem to survive fine here. Does anyone have any opinion or advice on the suitability of planting Soya in my type of climate?
Regards, Steve Howells

Trevor Australis

Re: Soya plant in the Algarve?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:26 AM »
I have no personal experience with Soya beans but some weeks ago I was on an estancia in Uruguay where they are grown as a major field crop. They are summer growing, irrigated and (seem to) prefer deep, light soils. Temps are in the range 20 Celsius to 30 C but too hot or too cold and the beans aren't formed due to the failure of pollination.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
Steve do you wish to grow them as a household vegetable or on a larger scale?
Hi everyone, I live in the Algarve (Tough but somebody has to) and have started in a small way to try planting especially fruits from Brazil and Maderia which seem to survive fine here. Does anyone have any opinion or advice on the suitability of planting Soya in my type of climate?
Regards, Steve Howells
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

steve

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
Dave and Trevor, thanks for your replies. That temperature range sounds useful as I understand they can survive (maybe prefer?) tropical environments so our (lovely) weather in the Algarve should be fine. I want to grow a small amount but I do want to crop it to make Tofu. I have a vegan friend who wants some and I will see how I go eating something that healthy!
I have loads of land previously used for orange trees (No money in it and the irrigation costs outweigh the yield) so I can easily give it a try.
I will now source some seeds and then see how they go + will of course let you know how it works out.
Thanks again, Steve