Identification confirmed by Daisy as Colutea arborescens

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Identification confirmed by Daisy as Colutea arborescens
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:41:08 AM »
I saw this plant in Berlin 2 days ago. Research on the internet suggests it is Colutea arborescens. Can anybody confirm this, or give an alternative name, before I send the collected seeds to Chantal's seed exchange? Thanks. If the photo of the seed pods is too out of focus, I can take a better picture of the seed pods I brought home with me :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:17:34 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Identification confirmation please
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:44:10 AM »
It seems the seed picture did not attach so here I am trying again.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Daisy

Re: Identification confirmation please
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:13:18 AM »
David, Yes, that is Colutea arborescens.
There used to be one planted against a sunny wall in a garden centre I used to go to in Surrey. I couldn't go past it without popping one of it's seed pods! Very childish I know, but very satisfying. ;D
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Identification confirmed by Daisy as Colutea arborescens
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation Daisy - it's a bit like bubble wrap I suppose. You know that you should save it for the next parcel you send but the temptation to pop a few bubbles is just too much and before you know it you have done the lot! Happy popping :)