California Poppies

• 50 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: California Poppies
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
Wow, what an amazing colour, Fermi! I've been absent from the forum for ages, either tied up with MGS admin stuff or busily planting out in Greece, so this is a very colourful and tempting welcome back for me as I start trying to catch up!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
Re: California Poppies - 2016
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
A good season for the California Poppies!
Here are some close-ups,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
The Californian poppies have started again!
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »
They are a real joy and so easy - a must for colour in a Mediterranean garden.....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »

They certainly are beautiful. They smell of Spring. I re read all the postings on this subject and thought how different 'gardeners' faired with them.  I started growing them in 2013, had some success in 2014 after I had purchased several packets of them and sprinkled them in a large area.  I continued every year  trying different areas where the cats would not roll or fight on them and finally we have two patches of them which seem to  have increased in size the last 2 years. They have started to regrow now as the evenings are getting cooler. I think we only have yellow orange coloured ones.  Spring was such a long time ago so I can't remember.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2021, 02:55:49 PM »
We made a new garden bed during the winter using some composted material (a windrow of piled up weeds, grass clippings, etc) and I sowed some double California poppy seeds. However I don't think any of those seeds germinated, however what came up was the typical, single orange which must've been from seeds in the compost.
This pic shows the poppies along with white anemones and a single purple Papaver somniferum,
cheers
fermi