• Email
Re: Tulips
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
Tulipa clusiana chrysantha
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2021, 04:30:20 PM »
The type form of Tulipa clusiana with its dark central blotch
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:39:01 PM by Fermi »

Charithea

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2021, 06:15:55 PM »
Wow Fermi. So very beautiful.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »
Hybrid tulips leave me cold but as Charithea said these are very beautiful as indeed are many of the different species ones you have 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2021, 09:41:40 AM »
I had never been interested in tulips either, Umbrian, until a bulb dealer persuaded me to try Tulipa clusiana chrysantha
Delicate flowers with a beautiful colour on the reverse side of the petal.

I thought that species tulips had won me over and I tried the red Tulipa wilsoniana but I am less impressed, It is more like a miniature version of a hybrid.

The white form of T. clusiana that Fermi shows looks like another one to explore - and there is a plant fair coming up in October too. Finally! Perfect timing :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
I just had a look at a couple of the bulb sellers who, I think, will be a the plant fair https://www.landriana.com/eventi/

www.florianabulbose.com/ have a selection of species tulips available including T. clusiana 'Lady Jane' and 'Cynthia'

www.raziel.it also have a selection of species tulips including some T. clusiana varieties. Tulipa batalinii 'Yellow Jewel' looks potentially interesting in Raziel's photo. Other photos on the www show it to be more like the showy hybrids in form. Heavy-looking flowers and thick, dare I say it, ugly leaves. Last time I wrote something as subjective as that (re cypress trees) I got a mauling. Too late for the lips-sealed emoticon now me thinks  :-X
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »
I had never been interested in tulips either, Umbrian, until a bulb dealer persuaded me to try Tulipa clusiana chrysantha
Delicate flowers with a beautiful colour on the reverse side of the petal.
...The white form of T. clusiana that Fermi shows looks like another one to explore - and there is a plant fair coming up in October too. Finally! Perfect timing :-)
There are quite a few species tulips that are worth looking at, David. The ones that come form the Mediterranean are definitely worth searching out.
Tulipa saxatilis and T. bakeri (now called T. saxatilis "Bakeri Group") are indistinguishable in appearance but I find the first is more inclined to "run" and needs to be fenced in to flower well.
The first pics is Tulipa saxatilis and the next 4 are T. bakeri,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2021, 03:56:03 AM »
Some of the tulips are better this year but most of the larger hybrids have "gone backwards" ::)
1) Tulipa hageri 'Splendens'
2) Tulipa 'Flaming Parrot'
3) Tulipa linifolia 'Red Hunter'
4) Tulipa 'Little Beauty'
5) a mix of hybrids
6) Tulipa 'Mascotte'
7) Tulipa 'White Heart'
cheers
fermi

Charithea

« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »
What a wonderful selectin Fermi. Thank you for sharing them with us.  We still have not had ANY rain so No bulbs flowering.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.