How to make flowers look ugly

• 7 Replies

Daisy

How to make flowers look ugly
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
I found this on another forum and was aghast at how mankind can make beautiful flowers look really ugly.
I cannot believe that anyone visiting this garden would like it....
...and when I think of the water needed to make this display, well, words fail me!
Daisy :)

http://www.weather.com/home-garden/backyard/dubai-miracle-garden-20130305
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: How to make flowers look ugly
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »
Couldn't agree more - please send us some more pics of your truly wonderful garden to cheer us up after seeing that travesty of a garden! :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:19:41 PM »
They say it is 'the world's largest natural flower garden', my concept of what is natural is not qiuite the same
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:13:47 AM »
Yick - how horrible!   Just confirms that money does not equal taste...
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Pauline

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Gosh, it really is east meets west, as in Disney meets Dubai. Victorian carpet bedding gone really bad!

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
Who was the landscape architect for this post-Modernist mish-mash? Last year I heard Martha Schwarz talking about a big project she was commissioned to do in Dubai. I hope it wasn't her.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
There are 394 more photographs on Trip Advisor!  It is certainly different!
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »
A neighbouring couple (Cypriots) have just returned from visiting their son and his family in Dubai. While there he took them to see this garden. Apparently it is visited by millions of people but is only open for part of the year as during the hottest months everything is burnt off by the sun. What a waste.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)