ABELMOSCHUS?

• 2 Replies

violapinnata

ABELMOSCHUS?
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
Bonjour à tous! I submit these photos taken in a garden on Menton (France) two weeks ago. I think that these two plants are (bot) Abelmoschus manihot (L.) Medik. but i have a lot of doubts about this. May be an Hibiscus? Are they the same species or varieties?
Can anyone help me in their ID? Many thanks in advance. Greetings, Bruno
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:56:53 AM by violapinnata »
I love and viisite gardens on the french and italian coast and i love photography.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: ABELMOSCHUS?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
I can't help you with identification, but it's very interesting to me that this plant is growing in the ground rather than a pot which can be taken into protection during the winter. I assume Menton gets pretty cold so could this be as hardy as, say, Hibiscus mutabilis?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

violapinnata

Re: ABELMOSCHUS?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »
I think that these two plants are Abelmoschus manihot (L.) Medik. (which, I have read, is highly variable) but i'm not absolutely sure of this...Yes, not surprising for those living on the Côte d'Azur they grow outdoor: Menton is perhaps the hottest place of the entire France mediterranean cost!
I love and viisite gardens on the french and italian coast and i love photography.