Trachelospermum jasminoides et T. asiaticum

• 13 Replies

Chantal

Trachelospermum jasminoides et T. asiaticum
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
Why do I get (very few) seeds from my Trachelospermum asiaticum and nothing at all from my 2 T. jasminoides ?
They are all thriving in my garden and flowering each year.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Trachelospermum jasminoides et T. asiaticum
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »
We have a couple of Trachelospermum jasminoides here in the UK (flowering with delicious fragrance at the moment), and one much bigger in Greece. We have never had seed from the ones here, though we have had seed in Greece. I'd always assumed it was insufficient warmth here, as Herklots (Flowering Tropical Climbers, Dawson, 1976) says "It is disseminated widely by seed." I have seen hawk moths hovering around ours in Greece, and believe they are common pollinators for it; do you have those, Chantal?
Though this is almost always seen as a climber, it does also make quite an attractive low sprawling shrub.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Chantal

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
Thank you Alisdair.
I don't know if I have this moth. I will ask my garderner, tomorrow, as he is coming for helping me. And he is very aknowledged about nature and insects.
Why do you think there is a link with warmth ? Effectively, the Trachelospermum asiaticum which gives me some seeds, is planted in a patio very protected. I also have in the same area, Cestrum nocturnum and some pelargoniums without winter protection.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
My Trachelospermum asiaticum is planted on the south facing wall of the house, a very hot spot in summer. It produces a few seed pods but not many considering its size - 12ft high by 20ft plus in width. It is obviously happy in this position whereas I find Trachelospermum jasminoides prefers a cooler spot. After several miserable failures I tried it on a North facing wall despite fears of winter damage and here it performs well but, no seed pods. We have lots of Humming bird moths that I have seen feeding on the flowers plus of course numerous other insects and butterflies that abound in the garden so really the lack of seed is a mystery to me. I did find a seedling in one of the numerous pots I have along the terrrace where the asiaticum grows. I carefully transplanted it and it did nothing for two years but finally this year it has grown to about 10inches high and produced a long side shoot. Anyone want it ?........because........
On a different note - I do find the "scent" of the asiaticum rather overpowering and unpleasant when it is in full bloom. It reminds me of old fashioned cow byres!  I realise that the question of scent is a very subjective matter but would be interested in other member's thought on this.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Chantal

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
I have the same thought than you, Umbrian, I prefer the scent of the T. jasminoides, but I can't tell what is the perfume of the T. asiaticum. It is really different and it sounds like something that I know , but I keep unable to tell what it is.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

Chantal

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
We don't have the hawk moth here. My gardener said he never saw that kind of insect. Nevertheless, some insect had pollinated one flower of my T. asiaticum, because I have one seed pod.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

John

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
We have an old plant of Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Wilsonii' on the back wall of our house and it does produce small amounts of seed pods every now and then.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:00:46 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Chantal

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »
John, where is located your garden ?
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

John

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Alisdair pointed out that I had missed this off my profile so I have just added it. We live in SW London and the Trachelospermum grows on the house wall with an east facing aspect. It flowers profusely every year. It is quite delicate compared to the other hardy forms as the leaves are quite small and very narrow. It does look quite different to both T. jasminoides and T. asiaticum. No picture handy!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
Does anybody know what this is called in Greece today? I know the origin of the scientific name is Greek (neck and seed, referring to the fact that the seed has a neck), but I believe that is not the common name here today. I saw something that looked like it at the local Friday market, but with a Greek handwritten label which I don't remember.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »
I assume you all know the fantastically variegated Trachelospermum. The variegation is brown, bronze, beige and terracotta on dark green. The plant is a lot weaker than normal green one and do not know if asiaticum or jasminoides.

nikthegreek

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
This is a very old thread, but the question about the common greek name of TJ has not been answered. If anybpdy is still interested, the common trade name by which TJ can be found in garden centers and retailers in Greece is: Ρυχόσπερμο/α or ρυγχόσπερμο/α (approximately pronounced as rychosperma/o or rynchosperma/o). It can easily be found in retailers during its bloom time in early summer.

A couple of warnings when planting in mild med climates and given adequate watering. It can easily take all the space allocated to it and then some and it does not seem to particularly like overly alkaline calcareous soils exhibiting signs of chlorosis when planted in such conditions.

John J

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
Our Trachelospermum jasminoides has been rather slow to establish, possibly not getting sufficient water, but the T jasminoides 'Star of Tuscana' that was planted later seems to be performing better.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »
Our Trachelospermum jasminoidesis now in full bloom.  Another of those climbers that call you forth into the garden with their scent.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.