Concrete ponds

• 2 Replies

thanoscy

• Email
Concrete ponds
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
Hi all

I wanted to construct a small pond in my garden and as I live in Cyprus I have drawn a blank trying to find liners or even pre-formed fibreglass ones. I am now forced to consider constructing it in concrete. Obviously the concrete needs to be sealed to prevent leakage. In any case, if unsealed the concrete will play havoc with the water ph. My question is: does anyone know of a product to seal the concrete but which would not harm plants and aquatic life? I have seen postings elswhere (a US forum) where people say they have used several coats of a fibreglass sealant very successfully and have been keeping fish with no losses in 2 years. Any suggestions?

Daisy

Re: Concrete ponds
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
Hello Thanoscy. I see nobody has been able to answer your question and I am afraid I cannot either.
When I was thinking about how to build my little raised pond, I did consider concrete, but only briefly. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that there were too many ifs and buts with concrete. Also, I have had experience with butyl in two previous gardens and was very happy with the result.
Living in Crete makes it a little easier for deliveries of goods from the U.K. When I bought my pond liner, underlay and pumps, they were delivered free of charge to Nomad International in Peterborough.
Nomad does not charge by weight, but by size.
Nomad have a fortnightly delivery to Crete, but of course they have to pass through Piraeus from where the ferries to Cyprus leave. It might be worth talking to them.

http://www.nomad-international.com/

Or, Amazon sell pond liners. That could be another option.
Hope this helps.
Daisy :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:51:06 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Concrete ponds
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
In the past we have used old carpets, sheets etc as liners.  Could you not buy rolls of plastic and lay down several layers. THe weight of the water will help keep itbwatertight.  Any small holes will be filled by sediment dropping out of the pond water as it meets and passes thru' the hole.  This happened ito our pool liner!! several times!!
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.