Eucalyptus leucoxylon var. rosea

• 3 Replies

Alice

Eucalyptus leucoxylon var. rosea
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
Another eucalyptus grown from seed six years ago. This is the first time it has flowered.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Trevor Australis

Re: Eucalyptus leucoxylon var. rosea
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
It's a beautiful tree Rosie, quite large in maturity. I'd say about 25m. Black fibrous bark, deeply ridged and not especially singular in its branching but beautifully coloured flowers. If you've got room it's a great tree for a big garden.

tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
It was after reading an article in the "Mediterranean Garden" a few years ago about growing Eucalyptus from seed (was it by you, Trevor?) that I became interested in trying some, as the only ones I have seen here are boring old E. camaldulensis and E. globulus. The article recommended a few, amongst which were E. leucoxylon var. rosea and E. ficifolia (which I also managed to germinate but which died unexpectedly about three years later). I thought that E. erythrocorys was also suggested, but perhaps it was the blurb in Chilterns seed catalogue which persuaded me.
So far E. leucoxylon is about 1.5 m high and has a shrubby appearance, being as wide as it is tall. I doubt if will ever reach 25 m here but all the same I would rather it didn't become a monster. I suppose I could keep it in check by pruning?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
If you kept it pruned would you then inhibit flowering?
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.