tree ID'd by Oron as Clerodendron trichotomum

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
tree ID'd by Oron as Clerodendron trichotomum
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
Last night I saw small tree in a garden outside Rome. I only saw it in artificial light. It was covered in what seemed to be dark red flower buds. The owner allowed me to take a few cuttings and told me it was a catalpa tree. Looking this up today it seems impossible that the small red buds could open out into such big white flowers. Plus, catalpa flowers in spring according to the literature. The tree was small, approx 3m but this may not have been a mature tree. The branches came out of the trunk at about 2m but were quite floppy so didn't add much to the height.

I know that the photo attached of the leaf alone may not be enough but if anybody could give me any pointers towards other trees to look up I would be very grateful. The plant is on an A4 size pad to give an idea of the leaf size

Many thanks in anticipation :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:15:49 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: tree identification
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
Looks like Clerodendron trichotomum.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: tree identification
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
Well! I guessed you would have some ideas Oron but I think you are spot on first time. How you do it, I don't know. You alone are worth the MGS subscription fee, never mind all the other benefits :)

It looks like I wasn't seeing red flowers in the dark at all but red sepals. The colour is just right and the "flower" size and distribution too. I imagine the fruit is just developing on the tree I saw - or do the flowers close up at night?

Now all I have to do is get my friend to get me a return invite to another birthday party at his friend's house in a couple of week's time and I might be able to get some seeds.

Wish me luck and thanks again :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: tree ID'd by Oron as Clerodendron trichotomum
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 05:33:52 AM »
David,
Thanks for the compliment,

I guess that at this time of year it would be the fruits starting to develop.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.