Almonds ......no fruit

• 3 Replies

saldemain

• Email
Almonds ......no fruit
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
Does anybody know why an Almond doesn't produce fruit ? It is grafted right at the bottom of the trunk . It is on top of a fosser so Im not too sure if it has it too good ? some years it produces very few flowers , maybe 4 maximum ! One year it produced one nut ( sweet ) that I had missed so it has capabilities. This tree was bought from a garden centre. In an exposed position to westerly winds ? very healthy leaves ( fosser ) . Not irrigated in summer, but all the surrounding fruit trees are ...... when the mini orchard was planted, the trees were placed too close together . Nothing has done too well as it is planted on shale, although I have managed to get mostly barren trees to fruit , Diosporo , mango, annona, fig. I hazard a guess that they were planted by the " dig a hole barely big enough " technique. good drainage as on the cusp of a slope. Surrounded by melaleuca hedge 2 mtrs which sits 1mtr from almond trunk. The almond is about 3 1/2 mtrs high. I give it a high potassium feed for Christmas. Tree has been planted for about 8 yrs. I have give encouragement for about 3-4 of those years. It doesn't respond to my love ...whats a girl got to do ?
Gardener , living in the Algarve for 10 yrs , studying diploma of horticulture .

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Almonds ......no fruit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
Almonds flower notoriously early which is generally not ideal for pollinating insects. Assuming there is good fertilisation there is still a long way before any fruit set becomes an almond. I suggest you have a look at your weather records and see if there is any correlation!!
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

saldemain

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
it flowers the same time as all the other Algarve almonds ........I have never seen this before .......the other trees in the local area don't have this problem ?
Gardener , living in the Algarve for 10 yrs , studying diploma of horticulture .

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
It is said, by some ,that occasionally you get fruit trees that do not fruit, flowering trees and shrubs that do not flower etc even when they are given optimum growing conditions and that the best thing to do is say enough is enough, dispense with the offending subject and start all over again.......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.