Wind

• 5 Replies

Daisy

Wind
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:37 AM »
I was awoken at 5.30am this morning to the sound of strong winds.
It is a very, warm wind and I sat in the shelter of an arbour, watching Albizia julibrissen and the pomegranate tree bending and dancing against the night sky.
Later as dawn broke, I was watching the Miscanthus sinensis Morning Light being tossed this way and that. Every time there was a short lull in the wind, it resumed it's previous, original, beautiful shape immediately.
It is looking very fine this year, but I cannot take a photo of it that shows it's magnificence.

sept 2013 030 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

sept 2013 026 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:08:36 AM »
Pretty good effort Daisy but I know what you mean about capturing the particular beauty of plants in certain lights- what the eyes and the senses see cannot be translated by the camera no matter how good the photographer. The second 'photo with contrasting areas of light and shade gives a good impression of the beauty you saw.
Whilst posting this I want to ask you about the rose Marechal Niel that I think you recommended previously. I have the name written in some notes I made when compiling a list of perfumed roses. To recap - a yellow flowered climber? rambler? with good perfume and a healthy grower?  I am also looking to plant one deep pink perfumed climber and am leaning towards Mme Isaac Pereire, is there any other that you would recommend above that?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:17 AM »
The wind is getting stronger and stronger. I notice that the birds are not on the bird feeder getting their breakfast as usual. Although I can hear them squabbling in the shelter of the loquat tree.
Every time I come back into the house, my husband looks at me and says, "you DO look windswept and interesting."  ::)
Thanks Carole. The miscanthus is looking gorgeous at the moment.
I will answer your rose inquiry on the rose thread.
Daisy :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:06:52 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Marechal Niel
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »
Carole, I've put a note about Marechal Niel on the Climbing Roses section, click here to see it. And Daisy has added some mouth-watering pictures of it (and one of Mme Isaac Pereire) in the general Roses section which you can find by clicking here.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:13:11 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
Re the "bird" remark in your post Daisy - I have already placed a small birdbath in the garden at the new house after having several feathered friends showing an interest in my efforts there. The very first day it was in place it was used - so different to my experiences here in the country where the birds are much more "independent" -about in the garden, nesting and feeding on insects, grubs etc but never availing themselves of food or water that I provide.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
Thanks Alisdair - always a pleasure to look at Daisy's mouthwatering 'photos