Plant labelling

• 101 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: Plant labelling
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
I agree, Hillary, it's very unusual around here. The owner is great, but he is struggling, he says that when he designs waterwise gardens, which would require much less maintenance, his customers reject them, they want lawns instead.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
A bit like here in Italy where the English style, complete with lawn, is regarded as the thing to have. Must be very hard for those nurserymen/ designers trying to encourage sustainable gardening because they also have to be "sustained"
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
I think it is wortwhile to support him as much as I can, he deserves it.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Charithea

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
Jorun and Hilary lovely photos thank you. Jorun I can read the names of the plants when I enlarge your photos. My poor photographic skills stop me from sharing the spring flowers in our garden. There are so many due to the Good Winter we had. As for the mosaics Jorun we shall have to ask the next AGM organisers if we can have a work shop and maybe we could concentrate on certain plants. A question if I may. How are your Clerodendrum ugandense doing? I have not managed to source them yet. I have tried several places. Neither can I get Salvia Anthony Parker. Chiltern's have beautiful blue varieties which I am currently growing but no Salvia AP.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2015, 06:41:51 PM »
I don't know how my Clerodendrum ugandense is doing, it's in the basement in Norway (with artidicial light) and I'm in Greece, the basement is so full of plants that I'm not quite sure what's survived and what didn't. I would love to have some Salvia leucantha as well.
The winter was not so good here in northern Greece, everybody is complaining, they say it was raining almost every day from November until we arrived two weeks ago. Spring is at least two weeks delayed , and there are fewer spring flowers than normal.

Charithea

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2015, 05:16:45 AM »
Jorun  Salvia leucantha is one of our most successful salvias. They grow very easily from cuttings. I tend to grow them and give them to friends. We also have three Salvias discolor but my granddaughter's favorite is Hot lips.  I am encouraging  her to appreciate gardening. She will be 4 years old next month.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
You must  talk to more nurseries, Jorun: you're obviously a superb ambassador for better labelling!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
The question of correct labelling seems to have died down over the last year or so. Today we paid a visit to a local DIY store that also sells a few plants and saw the following for sale with a label that proclaimed it to be a Begonia, blue flower. I'll say no more.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
Begonia! - oh dear :(

It is quite obviously a Havvina laughia
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2018, 03:06:02 AM »
To reopen another old thread, one plant label on a plant I bought last week has 2 names!  The Italian "Santoreggia" is followed by "montana repens" but the scientific name given is Satureja hortensis.  Reading up on the plant I discover that one is a perennial and the other is an annual. Given that the plant I bought is a very healthy looking thing I can only imagine that it is the evergreen perennial Satureja montana repens. Does anybody grow this? I have bought it to plant as a "ground cover" plant to grow around taller plants on the top of big pots. But what should I pair it with? Full/part sun? Watering in summer? Any experience you can pass on gratefully received.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:56:08 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »
The Santoreggia is growing extremely well with moderate water and looks very attractive with its shiny green leaves (re my last post).
Yesterday, I went to a nursery and saw a plant that I didn't know with a label! Menta cervina. Very nice looking plant and I thought, like the Santoreggia, it would be a good plant for covering open earth around the larger plants in my pots. Some information, in Italian, was on the label other than the name - "nice in salads" etc. You would have thought, though, that the fact it is a bog plant might have been useful information for potential buyers in Rome? Now the only real question is " how much of it can i eat before it dies?"   :(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
Had to smile the other day after reading the label on a Euonymus fortunei that I bought at our local market. The final line in the information stated that it could be pruned severely if necessary making it a suitable plant for graves..........
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.