Rain

• 11 Replies

Charithea

Rain
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »
We had our first experience of rain today, unfortunately not in our area. Following a visit to a fascinating cactus and succulent garden in the village of Gourri up in the mountains and while eating our lunch the heavens opened. It prompted me to get up and perform a childhood rain dance much to the amusement of the onlookers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Vina

• Email
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »
Glad that rain has fallen at last in the mountain villages, Charithea, but disappointed that you weren't in the photo doing your rain dance!

Alice

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »
With no serious rain here since February, I was excited when a 70% chance of rain was forecast for next Wednesday. However, 70% has now dwindled down to 30-50%. I live in hope...
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
I know how you feel Alice.  Same story here on our side of Ibiza.  The main town Evissa had decent rain 3 weeks ago but nothing here.  We live in hope too.
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »
The predicted rain did materialise but only about 1 mm. Very frustrating considering neighbouring islands received 50 mm!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:05 AM »
We have been having our usual sunny days all week here in Kolossi,  Cyprus but we hope the rainy days will return!! I thought I would post this picture I took early on Christmas morning.  It is a puddle in my sister's back yard.

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:59:28 AM »
We have had our long awaited rain and may it continue until the dams fill up. With its arrival the Seeds from the Botanic Garden of Troodos have sprouted.  Now the struggle begins with the removal of theOxalis pes-caprae.  I will post further information regarding this experiment as things progress.

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
We were away when the a first heavy rain of the season arrived on the 23rd of October. It has revitalised our garden. The rose bushes which looked sad during the hot period are now getting fresh leaves.  Some bulbs are blooming and others are ready to bloom. The stars of the garden were the Salvias which continued to flower most of the year and now  are glorious. The Mediterranean Salvias which aestivate are again growing, especially two of my favourites being  Salvia hyerosolimita and indica. I have noticed that I did not follow my promise regarding the seeds from Troodos. Four of the endemics are still alive and thriving.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:50:40 PM by Charithea »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 05:11:12 AM »
It's at last reach here in southern Greece too. A first wonderful day of heavy rain three days ago, then now (as we leave for the drive to Athens and then back to UK) the start of what looks like another day of long downpours - more than an inch expected here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:31:00 AM »
Would anybody like any rain from Rome? We are giving it away free. All YOU have to do is arrange for collection. No hurry, we have another fortnight of downpours forecast, Fingers crossed for all my recent cuttings!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »
David your rain will be most welcome here. It has not rain since the heavy downpour of the 23rd of October. The day temperature is high again but luckily the evenings are cool and the garden is ok. I have put Salvia seeds  from Deomide's Garden in the ground and hope the rain will come.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:06 AM »
Unfortunately the heavy and persistent rain here in my part of Italy has been accompanied by very strong winds at times. I heard yesterday that this has caused damage to an old Wisteria covered pergola in the garden of a Villa where I have worked in the past. One end has collapsed and it appears that the structure is in a pretty poor condition overall. My question is how severely could the Wisteria be pruned back with hopes of revival or would it be preferable to remove it and start again?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.