Suggestions please

• 5 Replies

Explorer

• Wild Flowers of Cyprus
    • Email
Suggestions please
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
I have an east/west trellis and would like to plant a climber that will twine to it. The flower bed is on the north side so roots would be shaded. We are 600m above sea level in Cyprus and do get frosts in winter.  I would like it flower in spring or autumn when we are here.  The next problem is where can I buy it in the Limassol district?

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:04:16 AM »
Welcome Explorer :)
As soon as I read ..the roots will be in the shade, my mind went to Clematis. There are varieties that flower during the times you want them. Here in Italy for example I have a tangutica or orientalis (never been sure which as it was not labelled which is often the case here!) It flowers in the late spring and again in the autumn and during the interim period has lovely fluffy seedheads. It receives no irrigation. A seedling from this plant appeared in a very inhospitable place - the edge of our carparking area where the soil is completely unprepared and things such as wild thyme are allowed there freedom. This plant has gone from strength to strength despite being in full sun all day long and has flowered all through summer and is still covered in flowers. However you have a "Cyprus" expert in John J to advise you and he will be more knowledgeable than I :) Good Luck
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
I have just come across this thread.
Carole, you are too kind.
As I understand it you are looking for a climber that is drought tolerant, frost hardy (how much frost?) and that flowers in spring or autumn. Do you have any preferences for colour or, conversely, colours you don't like? Would you like the flowers to be scented? Firstly, I would advise taking a look at what others are growing in your area or even slightly higher up the mountain.
Carole has already mentioned Clematis, perhaps I could suggest you take a look at:
Campsis radicans
Podranea ricasoliana
Trachelospermum jasminoides
Jasmine sp
Stephanotis floribunda
Clerodendrum x speciosum
Thunbergia grandiflora
Wisteria sp
to mention just a few.

Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Oops! it went off before I'd finished.
As for 'Garden Centres' in the Limassol area, below are a few but this is in no way a recommendation for any of them.
Agriplant - off Franklin Roosevelt Ave towards the sea from the traffic lights by the Social Services building.
Green Forest - off the Germasogia roundabout.
Green Garden - in Asomatos village.
Homes and Garden - off the plantation road between the My Mall roundabout and Trachoni village.
Q Gardens - near Zygi village.
If you would like any more detailed info, etc, you are welcome to send me an e-mail.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
Rosa banksiae makes an excellent plant for a trellis with lots of colour and shade in the summer. Mandevilla laxa has a strong perfume.

Something a little different could be a Humulus spp. or a kiwi, Actinida.  Really unusual climbers could be one of the edible cucurbits such as Sechium which is sold in French supermarkets or Luffa cylindica which would make a good talking point.  Why not a grape vine?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Explorer

• Wild Flowers of Cyprus
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Many thanks for all your suggestions.  Next task is to tour the garden centres you suggest and see what I can find.  I have exhausted the choice at Green Garden but will take a look round one or two of the others armed with your list of suggestions.