Mango

• 20 Replies

pamela

Re: Mango
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
They look amazing!. What a coincidence, I have just noticed on my 3/4 year old mango tree yesterday its first ever Mangos (6) I am absolutely chuffed! Frankly I wasn't looking out for them because the tree didn't seem to flower.    They are still green. Variety 'Osteen' which is the one which is grown commercially in Malaga. 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John J

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Pamela, congratulations! Your variety seems to produce fruit in pairs while ours (variety unknown) are suspended from a single stem that grows longer as the fruit matures. You now have the pleasure of watching them ripen while anticipating how nice they will taste picked from your own tree.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Well done folks!
I'm green with envy, but soon to be orange, methinks.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »
Lucky you, Pamela and John!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »
About twelve years ago, can't quite remember exactly which year, the first ever Italian Branch Plant Sale/Swap was held at my house in the spring. My husband had been visiting friends in India and was due back on the day of the meeting and arrived back safely in the morning with a large box of juicy, ripe mangos that we shared with those attending. This year I am hosting the event again before we sadly move on to other things but I fear we shall not be able to offer mangos to round off the day this time.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
I hope I will be here when they ripen....
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar