Courting butterflies?

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Courting butterflies?
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
Our garden is full of butterflies at the moment taking advantage of the figs that are ripening so quickly we cannot keep up with them. This morning I watched two doing what I can only describe as a courtship dance. I think they were of the Grayling family but so far have had no success photographing them.  I spotted them on the gravel drive and managed to get quite close (minus camera at that time). They were facing each other, almost touching, one was flapping it's wings and, if it slowed down or stopped the other one dipped forward to touch it whilst at the same time also flapping it's wings. Usually, once the first butterfly started flapping again the other one stopped but at times they were flapping in unison. I was quite fascinated and this went on for several minutes until they flew away together when I disturbed them. Gardening is certainly never boring  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

Re: Courting butterflies?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
We also have lots of butterflies in the garden at the moment, and have also observed them mating as you describe.  We have lots of tiny blues, several different Clouded yellows, Southern whilte admirals, Painted Ladies, Small coppers, Brimstones,  Orange tips,  Red Admirals, Tortoisehells, Peacocks, various fritillaries and also lots of different moths.  The most exciting being Convolvulus Moth, Great Peacock moth, Elephant Hawkmoth and Privet Hawkmoth.  All these because of a good variety of plant life for them to breed and feed on.

As you say Umbrian, gardening is never boring, its so much more than digging planting and watering. :)
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.