Wasps

• 3 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Wasps
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »
Our bay tree is a haven for wasps. Icannot find a nest.  I wonder if they are just attracted to the smell of the bay leaves.  Has anyone else noticed this ?  Or other similar events whereinsectsare attracted to specific plants?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Jill S

Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
Could the Bay tree have aphids, or some such pest, secreting 'honeydew'?
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

westyboy

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »
A few weeks ago David, I noticed an Hedychium leaf  that had been ravaged. Holes everywhere. No visible sign of infestation. So I checked the internet, and there was numerous mentions, that the damage could have been caused by a solitary female Wasp.
I waited with jar in hand, within 30 minutes, she turned up and is now living on a golf course many miles away.
Problem solved. One Wasp and only one leaf.

In answer to your question, I have a number of Bay trees, none of them are effected by wasps.
MGS member
Having spent years gardening in the South of England. I thought I was alone struggling with my Mediterranean garden.
Then one day I stumbled upon The MGS and it looks like all my questions can be answered.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
Aphids could be the reason for your wasp invasion, they are listed as one of the common insect pest of bay aurels. If so, the wasps are natural predators, and I have seen them recommended introduced to fight the aphids. Scale bugs are very common on bay trees, they produce some sweet, sticky stuff, but I am not sure if the wasp are specifically keen on that.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.