Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Daisy

Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »
Thank-you John for letting me know about my Miracle Cyclamen.
I thought that they were a hybrid of persicum and something else. ???

When I lived in Surrey, I would plant a whole tray of them along the bottom of my neighbours privet hedge. About three quarters of them would survive each year to flower the following autumn and winter. ;D
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
Now I'm off to Italy on Thursday,  south of Naples,  will I be able to find Cyclamen hederifolium to photograph down there ?  Can anyone suggest any good places to visit for other Autumn flowers ?

Hi Jo

I think it is a bit early but you might find C. hederifolium on Monte Faito [S. of Napoli], it is a good area, and it raind abundantly a couple of weeks ago. You can find it easily on Google Earth.

Good Luck [ or as the Italian say: 'In bocca al luppo']
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:27:49 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
I found Cyclamen hederifolium quite common throughout central Italy though from what I have seen generally less interesting in it's variation than in Greece. Still that's the point of looking to see what's interesting isn't it. Cyclamen repandum is also very common even right down to the coast in some places though it is probably too early for the new leaves to be up.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »
Hi Oron and John,  thanks for suggestions.  I'm going to the Cilento National Park area and will be  having a look along the coast and inland as well.  What habitat, elevation, aspect etc do you recommend ?

The hederifoliums are in full flower here in the garden but since it has hardly stopped raining all summer  the poor things are probably completely confused about the season.  They started flowering in July.

I agree John that there may not be any repandums in leaf yet,  how about purpurascens, does it occur that far south ?  I've seen it up round Lake Garda.

Cheers,  Jo  and Oron,  crepi il lupo   ;)

John

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »
C. purpurascens only in the north. The other two widespread other than the north! C. hederifolium and C. repandum most likely in woodland conditions but I expect you will have an eye for the right localities. You might be lucky and find some as I think that the growing season probably starts earlier than in most of Greece.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

jo

• Email
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Just came back from a lovely trip to the Cilento National Park, Italy, where unlike here the sun shone and it was beautifully warm.

We spent one day up in the hills looking for cyclamen. I chose the Gole del Calore as a possible C. hederifolium site,  thanks Oron for the suggestion. What a lovely walk up a steep sided limestone gorge with plenty of cyclamen throughout the woods along the path.

Here are a few of the pictures I took.

jo

• Email
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
We parked in a grassy car park with picnic benches where this colchicum was in flower.  Is it C. aggripium ?

Also some more cyclamen.

jo

• Email
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
There were plenty of roadside cyclamen on the way up to Felitto. Some quite nice colours too.  There was also a fair bit of fire damage but it was good to see that the cyclamen had survived the heat.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
Wow, stunning plants! Really elegant, a lot of them, and your candy stripe one is remarkable. Super looking place, too! Did you swim in that tempting pool?
Thanks very much, Jo.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
How about Colchicum neapolitanum?
John

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
We parked in a grassy car park with picnic benches where this colchicum was in flower.  Is it C. aggripium ?

Jo,

Realy happy that you have found the Cyclamen with some very nice color forms.

Regarding the Colchicum, C. agrippinum is an hybrid that has been in cultivation for many years its origins are not known. It is thought to be a hybrid between C. autumnale  and C. variegatum.
The one you have photographed may be C. neapolitanum as John suggested or C. lusitanum [having a white throat], both present in that area.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:51:30 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:40 PM »
Hi, yes I agree I haven't seen anything that dark in Italy though some variation is inevitable you managed to find it!
John

jo

• Email
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
I'm off to the Cevennes in March,  hopefully to photograph C balearicum.  Anyone got any good places I should look ?

Having posted my Italy pics I see that I didn't post my Cevennes, France, pics of Cyclamen balearicum.  Thanks Melvin for suggestions of where to find them.

They were locally abundant, but the distribution was very specific.  We found them in two separate locations but they decreased as we climbed up hill.

The leaves were quite variable and well marked and there was plenty of self sowing evident.  It was too early for the flowers unfortunately.

jo

• Email
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
More pics

jo

• Email
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
And a few of the plants there also