Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Good point, John!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »
I'm off to the Cevennes in March,  hopefully to photograph C balearicum.  Anyone got any good places I should look ?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
As C. balearicum can't be that common in the Cevennes, I'd suggest that anyone who does know of likely sites emails Jo privately. Giving locations openly here on the forum would be too helpful to the dreaded plant-diggers!
Hope you do find some, Jo - and hope to see some photos here.
Yesterday Helena and I went further down the Mani, to the site of some very late-flowering C. hederifolium (the sort that has recently been called crassifolium) - will post a photo when I get back to UK in Feb.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:41 AM »
"emails Jo privately. Giving locations openly here on the forum would be too helpful to the dreaded plant-diggers!"

Wow! I love this fabulous forum more and more every time! To think that in other web forums intendedly minimize the subject of poaching. Not to mention when they evidently take sides explaining the virtues of "plant introduction" by scrupleless merchants.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Late-flowering Cyclamen hederifolium in Mani
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
This picture was taken of a Cyclamen hederifolium in the very late-flowering population in Mani on the Greek Peloponnese while we were there in late January this year. It was one of the last still to be in full flower, and was going over when we saw it on 1 February. The last to flower in our own garden there lost its final flower right at the end of January.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:22:38 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Another memory of fast growth in Cyclamen. I potted up a seedling of Cyclamen hederifolium Apollo Series soon after germination and to my surprise it refused to go dormant so I kept potting it on. At the end of twelve months it had filled a pot around 20 cm wide with a complete cover of foliage. This is the only time this has happened though I have had similar experiences with other plants. Lilium formosanum from germinating to flower in 3 months. If only everything was so obliging!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Compost for cyclamen, and feeding
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
I have split off John's and Alberto's very interesting comments and advice on compost and feeding, started here, to a new topic which you can see by clicking on its name here, Compost for bulbs.
Alisdair Aird

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
I have just had a question about virus in Cyclamen coum.  A picture of a very unusually marked coum has been posted on the Scottish Rock gdn forum.

Here is the link,  what does anyone else think ?   
 Strange plant here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8335.msg232815#msg232815

John

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2012, 11:48:26 PM »
Hi Jo, interesting and I would say that it is not probably virused and it also looks like the type of variegation that will come true from seed.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2012, 12:15:04 AM »
Do you find this type of marking/variegation attractive?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
I will assume from your question that you do not! I find it interesting especially if it comes true from seed which marginal variegation will not. I also suspect that it would be a hit in Japan where variegation is, I believe, quite popular.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
You are right, John, I find them rather sickly looking and not attractive at all.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
Here's what happened when Helena put aside a heap of dormant baby Cyclamen hederifolium tubers, covered them with grit to keep them fairly moist until she dealt with them - then more or less forgot about them:
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
You could put that on your door at Christmas!
John

anita

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »
I've never been to Southern Europe and what I know of Cyclamen growing in the wild I've gleaned from books such as John Fielding's Flora of Crete (which has some great in situ pics thanks!). So planting a corm of C. graecum into the garden in Adelaide was a bit of an educated guess. I planted it in full sun, which I'd read was what it needed in English gardening books... for three years it just hung in there not looking too happy. Then I saw John's book...and those plants in situ.. light bulb moment... I shifted the suffering plant to the back garden into dappled sun at the top of a low retaining wall.. next year there were a few more leaves and the plant was definitely happier. This year when the rest of the autumnal bulbs started to move I thought I'd see how little graecum was faring... and to my delight - there was a FLOWER!. Thanks John for the insight... Australia's sun... is different and what might suit sun in the UK is likely to prefer a little dappled shade in Aus, as they seem to in Crete. What's even better is that I was so certain the C. graecum could succeed here that I bought seed two years ago hoping to get more plants... so I've now got three potfuls of seedlings coming on... a few more plants will join this lonely soul next year.
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C