Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

John

Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
And to be able to grow C. rohlfsianum outdoors too.
Here's another selected seedling which is doing well now. Not that exiting but quite a charming leaf and uniform in character. C. hederifolium.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
Here's another leaf. Leaves are my thing! This one is another of the seedling from producing a C. graecum subsp. anatolicum silver leaf. This one may have C. g. subsp. graecum in it. I like the bronze edge which may fade away as the leaf matures.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »
Hans do your dark C. hederifolium come well from seed and true to colour?
John

John

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
This is my darkest form of C. confusum from western Crete. I have seen much darker but it is nice with an average leaf.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:34:40 AM by John »
John

John

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
I only have a few C. rohlfsianum but chosen for their leaves. The first has what I consider a typical pale flower. The second has a darker pink flower. The third has quite a dark flower but leaves not up with it at this stage. This is the only species that I do not water in summer until growth is showing. The only exception is with seedlings which I think are too small to bake all summer in pots.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »
John's potted rohlfsianums, which I've seen a few times in the flesh, have a really sculptural quality - he grows them beautifully.  8)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Miriam

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
Wonderful pictures and plants!

Here Cyclamen graecum has started to flower after the first rain of the season:
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

John

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
Many of the C. graecum here are now past their best and the first of the Galanthus reginae-olgae is going over. We are in a heat wave though!
John

HansA

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
Great plants John and Miriam!

Hans do your dark C. hederifolium come well from seed and true to colour?
Those are the first flowers of the plants, received the seeds from Jan Bravenboer in 2009. Would think there are about 10 percent of intense coloured plants (which vary) while the other are perhaps a bit darker than "normal", but not all flowered so far. Selected 3 out of the batch and grow them now isolated from the other.

bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

HansA

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
I agree with John - C. rohlfsianum flowers are beautiful - but leafs are really spectacular - every plant is different. Here the first plant in leave, picture taken only a few days after posting the same situation in reply 42 and a bit darker flowering plant.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:08:18 PM by HansA »
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
Really natural look for that C. rohlfsianum, Hans, smashing! I never managed to keep the species going for more than a few years, under glass in the UK, and console myself that my very few plants came from the stock originally imported by Col. "Jimmy" Mars, that great cyclamenophile, which never seemed particularly robust. Seeing your plants, and John's, looking so splendid, I'm not inclined to try again myself!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
Why don't you try them in Greece Alisdair?
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium were out in Halkidiki as well last week, after the heavy rain, but I have never seen any with the dark colour shown in Hans' photos; a few may be pink, but they are mostly nearly white, except for the markings. I find it difficult to photograph them, the nicest ones are always hiding under some thorny bushes.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »
Here's a sub zero picture of C. hederifolium. We mustn't forget that even though much of the Mediterranean has a mild climate frosts are far from unknown. I collected seed off Ranunculus asiaticus from Karpathos at sea level and for years Balckthorn Nursery sold this collection which was relatively frost hardy despite it's frost free origins.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:42:33 AM by Alisdair »
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
Rather off-topic, but John, you've touched on a subject dear to Jorun's heart - the fact that areas in the Mediterranean basin, even quite close to the sea, may be at an altitude where even quite sharp and prolonged frosts are likely. Jorun I think would claim that these areas are still "mediterranean", whereas some purists would say that the mediterranean-climate area had given way to a different ecotype at a certain altitude there and therefore couldn't be called "mediterranean".
A reminder that this forum is a very broad church, of course, so whatever your views on where "mediterranean" stops and starts, we're all always interested!
Alisdair Aird