Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
Hi Alisdair,
sadly that's all the info on the label.
Here's a Cyclamen elegans which we got from a friend - she grew it from seed collected in Iran by Jim Archibald
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2018, 07:47:24 AM »
Very nice, Fermi! Of course our own cyclamen are completely dormant at the moment. We're having quite a heatwave here in England, temperatures up into the 30s, and this is the time of year when my wife Helena is digging up and separating the Cyclamen coum and hederifolium to send out to her customers - a few thousand each week, for these few weeks. She has a small business selling just these two species, grown from seed, wholesale to bulb firms and a few big landscape gardens. Hot work in this heat!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2018, 04:05:42 AM »
 ;D Well, I got fresh seeds from Oron Peri this year and I believe they are from more floriferous cvs ih his garden of peace. I've sown them and hope to see results soon.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
In 2005 I got seed from the AGS Seedex of Cyclamen persicum "ex Israel" and grew a few pink flowered plants which I kept in our shade-house. I gave one to my friend Otto who planted it in the garden at the Ferny Creek Horticultural Society's Hall. Encouraged by how well it did I tried a few of ours in the garden here but they aren't doing as well.
The first pic is of our cyclamen in our garden - the first flower opening this year.
The second is the one Otto planted - it's doing a bit better!
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2018, 06:52:07 AM »
Amazing difference Fermi but actually you can take conslolation from the fact that you can see the beauty of the flower far better in the photograph from your garden than in that of your friend.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
Beautiful.  I am waiting for our to start  flowering.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
A few Cyclamen graecum are now in flower.
The first is in a pot in the shade-house and the second is in a rock garden between two rocks
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
I've been neglecting the forum so this pic is from back in April:
Cyclamen rohlfsianum,
The best flowering so far!
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
We got this Cyclamen cyprium last year and this is it's first flower
Someone on the SRGC Forum says this is not C. cyprium!
More likely to be C. elegans

cheers
fermi
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:23:10 AM by Fermi »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
C. elegans has always been something of a mystery to me, Fermi! Plants from its recorded range south of the Caspian Sea that I've seen at Peter Moore's had altogether much longer-petalled and truly elegant flowers, and less circular more heart-shaped leaves than C. coum. (But looking at your photo again, that dark blotch at the base of the petal does have the shape that's said to be characteristic of elegans - certainly a far cry from C. cyprium!)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:58:03 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2019, 04:55:46 AM »
Fermi, I would agree that it is not Cyclamen cyprium.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
Cyclamen persicum looking like they have settled in
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: September 14, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
They look really happy with you, Fermi!
Alisdair Aird

John J

« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2020, 07:13:24 AM »
The first of our cyclamen to flower this year is this one with the plain green leaves, probably a variety of Cyclamen coum obtained as seeds from Alisdair. Something has obviously been attacking the leaves.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
John, the seed actually came from Helena - "A nice one" she said when I showed her the photo (and she thinks probably a tiny slug or snail had those meals)
Alisdair Aird