Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Joanna Savage

Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
Ciclameni, I think. Alisdair in your lovely photo of MGS autumn garden posted on Facebook today, are those rose coloured flowers Cyclamen? It is a magnificent clump. This garden here has lots of individual C. hederifolium. I would like to try to form such luxurious clumps.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
In that photo by Vina Michaelides they're Oxalis purpurea, Joanna (I have to downgrade the facebook photos so that the smaller files download reasonably quickly for people using cellphones etc); you'd have probably spotted that they were Oxalis if you'd seen the higher-resolution original. It's actually very rare to see such a deep pink in Cyclamen hederifolium, though you can occasionally find them. We've got one such plant here in the UK so this morning I was very pleased to see a bumblebee busily fertilising it then, with legs covered in golden pollen, going on to its neighbours to fertilise them!
I'm sure your plants will eventually build up into sizeable patches as the ants gradually spread the seeds around.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #272 on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Once again Cyclamen rohlfsianum has bloomed
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Our first Cyclamen graecum for the year has flowered
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #274 on: March 25, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
Cyclamen graecum is still flowering a month later.
Cyclamen hederifolium is in bloom in white and pink,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
The white form of Cyclamen graecum in a raised bed in our garden,
cheers
fermi
Two years later the white Cyclamen graecum is looking even better
cheers
fermi

John J

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
The leaves of this cyclamen appeared in our garden recently and the flower opened yesterday. I don't recall ever having seen it before. Alisdair, would I be right in thinking it's a form of Cyclamen coum? Maybe even one from a batch of seeds that you gave us some years ago?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »
Absolutely right, John, it's a white-flowered form (and looks as if the unpatterned leaves have a bit of a silvery sheen, which is quite unusual so probably does come from the seed you had from Helena and me)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »
We grow Cyclamen mirabile in the shade-house and it is flowering now.
These were raised from AGS Seedex seeds as "ex Tilebarn Nicholas" and there is a little variation among the seedlings.
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
They are very like / identical to the original 'Tilebarn Nicholas', named by the raiser our dear friend the late Peter Moore, for his son Nick.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
Hi Alisdair,
Wow, that's amazing that you knew the raiser of this cyclamen.
Because named varieties are seed strains rather than vegetative clones there is usually some variation but I believe that seedlings that don't conform to the description are usually "rougued out" .
I actually must look up the "correct" description of 'Tilebarn Nicholas' though I know it should have pink tinged foliage as it emerges.
In this pic you can see that one seedling has much more pink
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
Lovely to see them getting on with growing up, so happily!
Peter Moore was a lovely man, and probably did more than anyone else ever has to spread around good forms of cyclamen species to cyclamen enthusiasts.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
The white Cyclamen graecum in our raised bed flowered well and now the foliage is starting to emerge while there are still some flowers out,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
This Cyclamen coum came from a friend who died recently. She'd raised it from seed in 2005 from "CSE" which I presume is an acronym for a Cyclamen Society Expedition - perhaps Alisdair knows?
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
Very nice, Fermi! Yes it does stand for that (but now political correctness makes the Society call them "field trips"). If you know the CSE number I can tell you exactly where it came from - today my wife Helena is hosting a meeting here (I'm the dogsbody coffee boy) of the Cyc Soc's publications committee and Martyn Denney who keeps the field trip notes will be here.
(The Society has done several dozen of these information-recording trips over the years now: in a way my little legacy, as I started them when I was its chairman all those years ago....)
Alisdair Aird