• Email
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile ex Tilebarn Nicholas
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
The white form of Cyclamen graecum in a raised bed in our garden,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »
One of the Cyclamen hederifolium in our front garden, which gets a bit more shade,
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
I have soaked my newly arrived seeds from the Cyclamen Soc and from Bravenboers Nursery - days days changing with warm water every day. I've sown them and covered the seeds with a layer of fine gravel. Will this be enough to give them the darkness some experts say is necessary before germination occurs?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
Here is the result of my soaking/not soaking experiment. The seeds in the first four small pots germinated after around two weeks without any presoaking or treatment with darkness , the batch sown a week later were presoaked for 24 hours, the pots were covered with black pots covered with aluminum foil inside to keep any light out. Exactly when the last ones germinated, I don't know, since I left for Greece before there were any signs of life, but when I came back five days ago, there were some small seedlings, a bit pale, but with proper light, the colour of the leaves became normal almost immediately. The plants are much smaller than the non-soaked ones. I have taken a couple of photos this evening, and it is easy to see that the soaking/darkness treatment was not really impressive, the plants are much smaller. Unfortunately, I was a bit too generous with the first batch of seeds, the pots are really crowded, but in spite of this, the seedlings are bigger and seem very healthy, you can see that the leaves are bigger in the first photo (back row),  in the second photo (bottom), you can also see that they are taller (those in the back) than the soaked ones in front. I had four pots of each category, the results were pretty homogenous within each group. It's not a proper scientific setup, but at least from these observations, there was nothing gained by soaking/darkness.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »
Thanks Alisdair. I've got another batch to sow this week. I think I will try soaking with a drop of detergent in each lot and plant without the darkness treatment and see how they go.

John J

« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Last week we had a couple of days with heavy downpours. Whether or not this is the cause our Cyclamen cyprium have begun to reappear.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Cyclamen in World War I painting
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Yesterday I went to the moving centenary exhibition of 1914-1918 war paintings at the Imperial War Museum. It included "Irish troops in the Judaean Hills surprised by a Turkish bombardment", by Henry Lamb who like his friend Stanley Spencer served in a front-line medical unit there.
Dotted about in the very large canvas were several cyclamen. After the picture itself shown below, I've blown up three of them - not as sharp or clear as in the original, but all clearly Cyclamen persicum.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #263 on: November 23, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
I have a friend who is an Art Historian and when we go to exhibitions with her I always make a note of the many different flowers that are often depicted. Many have a special symbolic significance but sometimes I feel the artist must just have been wonderfully observant and in touch with the countryside around him. Come the winter I must look at my notes and continue my research!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
Arrived back from Athens late last night and on wandering out into the garden this morning to see how it had fared during our short absence (apparently we had heavy rain on at least a couple of the days) we found this cyclamen. It looks a little deformed as a leaf and flower are growing out of the same stem. I've tried to take it from different angles to show what I mean. Is this a common occurrence, Alisdair, I don't recall seeing it before?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
 :) I went into our garden today and found the first Cyclamen hederifoliumin bloom, not very precocious - it is ONLY mid-way through the last month of Spring down here!  :-\

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
John, it does happen but very rarely - I've only seen leaf and flower on the same stem once and it never happened again on that plant. Rather more common is fasciation, where you get more than one flower or two conjoined on one stem (there are illustrations of this including one quite amazing plant in the issue of the Cyclamen Soc's journal that I brought you and Fleur to show you the advert for the MGS trips to Cyprus and to Northern Greece that you're organising for 2015).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2015, 06:58:50 AM »
My friend Otto gave me this tuber last year and I was dismayed when it hardly put up any leaf growth before going dormant. However it has surprised me by coming into flower now: Cyclamen rohlfsianum,
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2015, 06:35:26 AM »
I've grown C rolfsianum for years but never flowered it despite giving it harsh treatment in a very gravelly soil. Good Luck with it Fermi.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen rohlfsianum
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »
Trevor, If your plants are very old it's quite likely that they derived from a small number brought decades ago from Libya by the late Colonel Mars. For a long time all those in cultivation came from those, and through successive generations it seemed a very shy-flowering strain. In the last two or three decades other strains have spread around which have been much more free-flowering.
Alisdair Aird