Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Melvyn

• Email
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »
Thank you Cali for showing the bunches of cyclamen flowers, as Alisdair said you can almost smell the perfume just looking at them.
As far as I am aware Cyclamen graecum has not been found on Corfu. It was not encountered on the Cyclamen Society field study in 2008 and I have not found it, or any spring flowering species, on a number of private visits.
I have included three photos showing the range of flower colours to be found on the island all of which I imagine you are familiar with.They are all C.hederifolium.
C. confusum does not grow on Corfu, as far as we know, and has so far only been identified from the west of Crete. As to whether the Corfu plants include ssp. crassifolium I think it probably does but that is the subject of continuing research. The Cyclamen Society have so far studied plants in the Ionian Islands of Zakinthos, Corfu and Kythera, next month field studies will be undertaken in Kefalonia. Hopefully we will soon know a little more about C.hederifolium ssp crassifolium

Cali

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
Thank you, Melvyn and all. So, for the time being we will stick with plain hederifolium.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »
What an incredible colour Melvyn's last plant is!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Cali

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
I see quite a few dark ones like that.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

John

« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
I haven't done much with C. rohlfsianum especially as they don't usually set much seed. This is one of the few seedlings that I have selected and grown on with an almost silver leaf.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
A beauty in bloom today for the first time.
Recived as seeds from John Fielding back in 2006 as confusum 'Dark Form'.
At the moment it is the darkest and rediest in my entire collection!!
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:09 AM »
Wow, what an amazing colour Oron!
Clearing up my desk just now (long overdue) I found a little note that in February in the Peloponnese this year I found a bulldozed Cyclamen graecum tuber which - before I rehomed it - I measured and weighed.
It was just over 200 mm across, and (despite being virtually rootless) weighed 1.714 kg.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Cali

« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
Hmmm.... maybe some of the Corfu ones are confusum after all (sheepish grin).
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
What a fabulous colour Oron.  Is it flowering a little later than in the wild or does confusum normally flower later ?

Alisdair, it sounds like you had a pumpkin, not a graecum  ;D ;D

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Hee hee Jo!
In the Peloponnese there are colonies of the confusum/crassifolium type of hederifolium which are normally still in flower in January.
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
Oron, well it was worth sending you a bit of seed then, darker than the original, mine!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
Here's a healthy C. rohlfsianum which I have just repotted. It is 10 years old and hadn't come into growth yet. My hand for scale. Note how nobbly this species gets. In old age this progresses into a splitting of the tuber which I have also seen in C. purpurascens.
John

HansA

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
Beautiful patterned C. rohlfsianum, John - hope will find one similar among my seedlings.

Oron - this colour is really fantastic!

Most C. rohlfsianum are over now and start to show their beautiful leaves, while C. cilicium and C. hederifolium are in full flower.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen persicum autumn-flowering
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
For Ori's photo of the autumn-flowering Cyclamen persicum among other mouth-watering bulbs in bloom at the moment in Israel, after rains,click here.
Alisdair Aird

cycnich

• Email
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
A few leaves of Cyclamen Hederifolium from my garden today.

Pat Nicholls Cyclamen and associated bulbs.