Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Cyclamen
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
One of the best bulbs for mediterranean gardens is Cyclamen persicum - the wild species, as opposed to the many colourful "pot plant" cyclamen cultivars that have been bred from it. It is elegant but tough, beautifully fragrant, and stands any amount of heat during its summer dormancy (when it should be left unwatered). As with most other cyclamen species, the silvery patterns on the leaves vary from plant to plant, giving interest even when they are not flowering. Here is one of the thousands which we saw growing wild, during the MGS trip to Israel in March; this one was growing in a rock cleft on Mount Hermon.
[attachthumb=1]
In a pine wood lower down there were thousands upon thousands, glowing in the shadows or picking up shafts of sunlight, most of them the classic colour as in the first picture, but some much pinker, often a good clear warm pink with no hint of magenta. The air was heady with their scent. Our friend Johannes, picking his way among them (very difficult to avoid treading on any!), gives an idea of the scale:
[attachthumb=2]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:28:14 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

HansA

Re: Cyclamen persicum
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:20:30 AM »
Fantastic pictures Alisdair!

Cyclamen persicum grows very well here and is seeding freely ( not as much as C. hederifolium). A very generous friend gave me seeds of the autumflowering form a few years ago, perhaps they will get the first flowers this year. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:29:44 AM by Alisdair »
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
Thanks, Hans!
And that gift from your friend underlines what Heini was saying about the generosity of gardeners.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Chantal

Re: Cyclamen seed
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
If you want more cyclamen seeds, Hans, we have cyclamen coum, hederifolium and graecum seeds on our seed list. It is a free service for all MGS members. Just click on the MGS website for the conditions.
Perhaps, you are allready a member? sorry if I repeat some times the same things.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:30:09 AM by Alisdair »
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

HansA

Re: Cyclamen graecum album
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
Thanks a lot Chantal - I had a look on the seedlist - there is a good number of quite interesting species!

First autumn flowering species started  - very early in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:30:39 AM by Alisdair »
landscape architect

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Cyclamen graecum album
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
Hans,

This is a real beauty, mine flower much later, about mid October and lust for quite a few weeks.It is not un comon to see C. graecum subsp graecum in flower already in mid August, i have seen it in Crete a couple of times, mainly in shaded rocky places where they get dew at night.
This species is superb in the garden and can resist grought probably better then any other Cyclamen.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:31:01 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Cyclamen graecum
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
Yes, that white one is gorgeous, Hans; thanks!
As Oron says, Cyclamen graecum is wonderful for mediterranean-climate gardens. The lustrous patterns on the velvety leaves, almost every plant differing from its neighbours, make it very special even when it's not in flower, and it stands up to long months of drought without worry. In our hot south-slope garden in the south of Greece, plants in full sun can get rather stressed, and they do better with a little shade there, but I think that is exceptional; in milder gardens they seem perfectly happy in full sun.
If you start with one or two plants, you'll find that they do start seeding themselves around, and the resulting plants, usually "sown" by ants, will probably do even better than the ones you planted yourself. As the photo shows, these wild-sown plants can end up in the most extraordinary places, all sorts of intriguing nooks and crannies.
Incidentally we have a venerable plant of C. graecum, our very first cyclamen, which - NB this was before the CITES regulations, and before we knew better! - we dug up on the island of Skopelos nearly 40 years ago, and which, in its pot here under unshaded glass in the UK and left unwatered until it flowers, always comes into flower much earlier than any other graecums. This year it started in July.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:31:30 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

HansA

Re: Cyclamen graecum
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
Fantastic colour, Alisdair!
Have some seedlings of dark C. graecum, seeds came from Jim Archibald a few years ago - hope they will be as dark as yours.

Thanks a lot Oron - C. graecum album always are the first here (several plants of a group have started) - but I noticed also one flower on a plant which antecedents are from Cyprus - when I am not wrong C. graecum from Cyprus belong to subspecies anatolicum.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:31:56 AM by Alisdair »
landscape architect

cycnich

• Email
Cyclamen Hederifolium
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Here are a few interesting forms I have been lucky to see in the wild and to cultivate.
Pat Nicholls Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

cycnich

• Email
Re: Cyclamen Hederifolium
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
A couple more
Pat Nicholls Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
So very attractive.

To cultivate means you are propagating them from seed?

fragman

Cyclamen persicum
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
and this is how it looks at the moment, seeds are long dispersed...
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
Mmmm. Nice.

I found a specimen at RHS Wisley (S. UK), some years ago, with randomly marbled leaves (whereas there is almost always a symmetry to the variegation of Cyclamen leaves). Alan, the rock garden superintendent at the time, let me dig it up and try to propagate it. But over winter, the mice got it. :(
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
Here's a few of my selections of C. hederifolium some of which were produced by gradual selection.
1st a marginal silver leaf
2nd a flower with a bold bloody nose.
3rd typical C. hederifolium on the left with a C. confusum on the right showing the size difference in flowers.
4th a dark flowered form.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:30 AM »
Wow, John! What a beauty.