Pentas

• 1 Replies

Daisy

Pentas
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
I have not grown these before, but found some in a local garden centre last week.
I believe, they form a woody base and don't like being cut back until the new growth is visible in spring.
Other than that, I know nothing about them. Any information or experience would be very welcome.
Thanks. Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
Re: Pentas
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
I bought one last year and got it identified here (http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=1062.0). I planted it in the ground before I left in the autumn, but it didn't show up this year. I suppose it is best used as an annual where I am (Halkidiki, northern Greece), I bought a few more this summer,they look very good in large pots, both alone and together with other plants.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.