Huge Tomato

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Huge Tomato
« on: August 27, 2013, 07:27:13 AM »
My husband is not much of a gardener but does grow a few vegetables, mainly summer crops so that we can enjoy fresh salads.
The unusual weather we have experienced this year, greatly fluctuating temperatures during planting season, has meant that quite a few things have been slow to mature especially the tomatoes. However now they are maturing well and yesterday he proudly presented me with the giant one pictured below. It weighed in at nearly 3 lbs and despite it enormous size was full of flavour.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Huge Tomato
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
Pardon me for hi-jacking your original thread, Umbrian,
but the title suits what I want to post.
A friend gave me a couple of tomato seedings which he raised from seed that someone had given him as "from an island in the Adriatic"!
They were planted rather late so are only starting ripen now, but the fruit are the largest of this season's tomatoes!
And the plants are also very vigorous.
Does it sound like something that anyone in the MGS has grown before?
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
It looks like an old (but still going strong) Italian variety called Costoluto Genovese, which we've grown and found huge.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
Hi Alisdair,
thanks for the suggestion.
It's not as regular in its ribbing as another "Costoluto Genovese" that we grew but I see on the web that some pics do look very similar.
I'll take it that it's a variation on this old variety and let my friend know.
I'm now waiting for some to ripen to harvest seeds for next year!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!