Supplement 2011

• 0 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Supplement 2011
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
Well, that was a nice suprise!
Thank you Caroline/editor et al.

And how interesting it was to read. I was surprised at how many articles were pertinent to me just now. I should add that this is my first year of mediterranean gardening.

Agapanthus: "the evergreen kinds are the most drought tolerant and the best garden plants where water conservation in summer must be a watchword'.
Simple fact, very good to know.

Grevilleas: 'Indeed, summer watering is sure to kill most of them, unless it is the odd raindrop.'
Yup, I can attest to that  :(
I bought two Grevilleas and killed them both by watering.

Metrosideros excelsa: '...the best way to propagate the tree is from 15cm new wood cuttings taken in November."
Where else could I have found that out?

Tabebuia: 'need warmer minimum temperatures and higher summer humidity' (speaking relative to the Costa Blanca).
I had been salivating over the prospect of being able to grow these here in Cyprus.
(I suspect I will still have a go, if I can find a source.)

Cneourum tricoccon: a rich description.
I saw this plant in the Jardin Botanique in Geneva, and collected some seed. Now I know how to germinate and grow it.
It is worth pointing out that temperatures in Geneva can easily get below -10C (as icy winds sweep down Lac Leman from the direction of Siberia; I have experienced it), yet this plant was showing no ill-effects.

Also in the same article, as an aside: "Oaks do not tolerate summer irrigation which promotes fungal disease, eventually killing the tree."
I had no idea.
I have wild Quercus coccifera stabilizing a steep soil slope, and have young ones in polythene pots to plant to extend the stabilization. Now I wonder what to do - the youngsters would need watering, surely?... I am watering them in their pots now, and they are OK. But I don't really want to wait until autumn before planting. Hmmm.

It really is all good stuff.
I look forward to the next supplement. And yes, Jean, I would be very willing to make a donation to support the initiative.

Thanks again!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England