Australian raven = very irritating bird!

• 4 Replies

Jamus

Australian raven = very irritating bird!
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »

Apparently my Euphorbia myrsinites is irresistible to this particular bloody bird. He/She is evidently some kind of connoisseur as the E. characias wulfenii, and other plants in the garden are completely untouched, as yet... Nothing much I can do about it. I thought blackbirds were bad but they've got nothing on this guy.  >:(

Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

helenaviolet

Re: Australian raven = very irritating bird!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
Hi Jamus,
To begin with this new age of digital photography gives us a great means of communication. Thanks for your interesting pics  :)

It looks as if the raven has simply vandalised the Euphorbia. I doubt if it would eat it. Also unlikely that it is searching for some particular tasty critta that lives just there. It reminds me of an event many years ago when some friends of mine prepared to open their gardens during a daffodil festival. They had wonderful drifts of daffodils in bloom. Along came the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and beheaded the lot! Sheer vandalism! So back to your raven. Blackbirds create a mess because they fossick through mulch searching for insects but it does seem that the raven either hates or loves the Euphorbia.

One thing to consider is that we don't know what the raven actually sees. I believe that birds are able to see ultra violet light. Possibly the Euphorbia flowers 'glow' in a different colour spectrum which either attracts or annoys the raven. ???
Cheers, H:)   
I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »
What a lovely word 'fossick' is. I assume it means rummage? I think I'll go for a fossick in the nursery.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Careful, Fleur, I believe in some parts of Australia you used to have to apply for a licence before you were allowed to go fossicking.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

helenaviolet

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »
Oh yes, Fleur,
The words have similar meanings except that if you are 'fossicking' you are looking for something small and special like gold nuggets. The district where I live was settled in the 1800s because gold was discovered. Thousands of people came here to 'fossick' for gold. The word is commonly used. I think special tasty grubs would be like finding gold for a blackbird.

I hope someone has an answer to the strange problem with Jamus' raven. Meanwhile, good luck with fossicking in the nursery! :)
Cheers, H:)
I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.