Mystery moth

• 4 Replies

John J

Mystery moth
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »
While wandering around the garden this evening I came across this fellow sitting on my Viburnum suspensum bush. The photo is not as clear as I would like but the light was fading and I couldn't use flash. Over to you, Mike?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Mystery moth
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
John
It is Daphnis nerii, Oleander Hawk - moth.
Quite common in the Mediterranean, caterpillers feed mainly on Nerium oleander but also on Tabernaemontana, Vinca and other species.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:45:16 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John J

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »
Thanks for that, Oron. We have several oleanders scattered around the property but I have never noticed caterpillers on any of them. Strangely enough the Viburnum that this fellow is resting on is planted next to a Tabernaemontana. I'll have to inspect it for eggs and keep an eye out for any activity!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
Hawkmoths are generally beautiful but this one must take the prize for both colour and intricate patterning. Another favourite of mine is the Elephant Hawkmoth the colour of which is stunning. Thanks for the 'photo John :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »
John's hawk moth is amazing - and a wonderful image of how well nature's really vivid colouring and patterns can create camouflage that's so much more effective than the drab "mimicry" colours traditionally used in artificial military camouflage.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society