blooms for July

• 4 Replies

Daisy

blooms for July
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
In bloom now, is the title of this topic thread and nobody has posted anything yet.
It is July. There must be loads of blooms to show this month.
Well, I will start everybody off with my blooms.

I am so excited. I have never seen lotus flowers in the flesh before this month. Only ever in books and on television.
But now my lotus are flowering for the first time ;D ;D ;D and they are gorgeous ;D ;D ;D

They were planted this spring. There are two of them. Nelumbo nucifera Mrs Perry Slocum, and Momo Botan. Also with them in the photo, is Nymphaea Pink Sensation.
I am sorry, the paths and steps are not laid yet. I am a bit of the cart before the horse person, with my impatience. That will be done this winter.
Daisy

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: blooms for July
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:14:26 AM »
I am very jealous of your lotus pool, Daisy! Lovely, tempting pictures - thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
The flower in that first big photo is gorgeous!
Well captured Daisy.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Hard to believe that it's closest relative is supposed to be the Plane Tree!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:53:46 PM »
Proteas are close too, aren't they John? (And can bloom in July, too!)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society