Eremophila maculata from seed

• 2 Replies

John J

Eremophila maculata from seed
« on: September 29, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Perhaps our Australian friends could help with this one. My Eremophila maculata has produced what appears to be a seed case and I was wondering how easy, or indeed difficult, they are to get to germinate. Don't tell me that they have to be broken down by being passed through the gut of an Emu or something as they are in rather short supply here in Cyprus!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Eremophila maculata from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:52:38 AM »
John, if you click here you'll find a page on improving Eremophila germination, from the excellent website of the Australian Native Plant Society.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

Re: Eremophila maculata from seed
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
Thanks for that, Alisdair, very interesting. Having read it finding an Emu to pass the seed through might actually prove easier!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)