Mealybug ??

• 7 Replies

wilko

Mealybug ??
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »
Hello
We have white deposits on a lot of our plants and trees. This has happened in the past month, we are in Provence. We thought it was mildew but having looked closely there are these white hairy bugs which hop around. We've tried soap and water but no effect, also something that supposed to kill all bugs and that doesn't work either. MOH is convinced that they arrived from some small hollyhock plants we bought. Any info gratefully received as to what they are and how to treat.
Many thanks
W

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Mealybug ??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
Look under Neem oil on this Forum for more information.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:26 AM »
And you'll find lots more information and suggestions about mealy bug on the topic devoted to it if you click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
Hello
I see you are in the south of France and interestingly we have had the same problem this year.  I have never seen such large fluffy bits like this before here, and in July we never normally see leaf pests.  They are dead and gone....too hot.   Ours is on a Salvia guaranitica but only on the leaves which are in the shade.  I am just taking them off with a spray gun of water at the moment. 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

wilko

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies but have yo found that these bugs hop around ?
Thanks W

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Mealybugs don't exactly hop - but the nymph stage move around at a speed which seems quite brisk if you're looking at them through a lens!
There is a quite different pest, originally from North America, which seems to be spreading in Europe now and which does hop around. That's the citrus planthopper (it eats all sorts of other plants, too). Infestations have the same sort of white woolly look as mealy bug infestations, but the nymphs have quite powerful-looking legs and do hop or even fly. If you poke the infestation and any of the creatures do hop away, then that's probably what you've got.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

wilko

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Alisdair I think that's what we've got................so does the neem oil work on these ?
Thanks for your help.
W

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »
An Italian study showed that neem oil appeared to have no effect on the adults, but the authors suggested that it might perhaps be used to control the mobile nymph stages. I don't know if anyone's actually tried it!. The planthopper does have a natural predator in the States, a parasitic miniature wasp, which (after careful risk assessments) has been introduced successfully to some European countries and which does look like giving long-term control, but I don't think you can buy this yet. Ordinary pesticides such as those which work for mealy bug do work on this planthopper; and the harmless methods like water jets and soapy water will clear up infected patches - but probably only temporarily.
Alisdair Aird