Climber ID'd by Oron as Araujia sericifera

• 4 Replies

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
Climber ID'd by Oron as Araujia sericifera
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
This is growing in a coastal garden here and grows away well from seed, we think it is evergreen but the lovely flowers are an unusual combination of creamy white and lilac coloured bee lines. As usual, any and all suggestions for a name very gratefully received. The fluffy seed pod suggested some sort of asclepiad ?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:04:55 AM by Alisdair »

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Identification please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
Rosie,
It is Araujia sericifera, originated in S. America, has naturelized in many countries around the globe including the Mediterranean.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:48:20 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Identification please
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »
Araujia is a great climber with highly perfumed flowers. It has a habit of " capturing" pollinating insects by their proboscis and this has led to the name " the cruel plant".  It has one major downside; it readily spreads by seed. I think it is now considered to be invasive.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Climber ID'd by Oron as Araujia sericifera
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »
It's certainly a weed in Melbourne! It's also known as the Kapok Vine because of the silky hairs that fill the pear-shaped fruits. When ripe the fruit splits open and the seeds are spread by their silken parachutes, much like dandelions and thistles.
It has a tap-root which makes it hard to weed out with a trowel or spade!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
Re: Climber ID'd by Oron as Araujia sericifera
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
Hello you lovely lot,

thanks very much indeed for the ID on this climber, sometimes the plants that are a bit too easy are the ones we should be most wary of ! I will spread the word on this to those few who I know have this plant and let them know about the invasive possibilities. We already have enough of those to contend with !

Thank you very much indeed, and all best wishes from the south west of Europe.